Benu Sen at Academy of Fine Arts, Kolkata.
26 May 1932
Kolkata, British India
|Died||17 May 2011
|Organization||Photographic Association of Dum Dum|
|Notable work||Pictorial Photography, BS-4 (fine grain developer)|
|Children||One daughter, Banhi|
|Parent(s)||Manindranath Sengupta, Provabati Sengupta|
He was the Secretary General of the Federation of Indian Photography (FIP), the Indian chapter of the Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique (FIAP), and President of the Photographic Association of Dum Dum (PAD). In his book, History of Journalism: A Legend of Glory, Prof. Santanu Banerjee mentioned, "His passion was to guide the oncoming photographers in the profession. During his life span, he made a pretty number of students dazzled in the arena of photography."
A Photography Unit was set up in the Indian Museum in 1964 for photo documentation of art objects. Sen was the in-charge of the unit. He retired from the museum as Photo Officer in 1990 and contributed many photographic works both in the field of social & cultural anthropology and museum related photographs.
Publications by Sen
- Art of Photography (1979)
Publications paired with others
- Learn Photography. Photographic Association of Dum Dum.
- Experimental Photography. Photographic Association of Dum Dum.
- Life-Time Achievement award of Rs. 100,000 and a citation in the pictorialists category conferred by the Vice-President of India, Mohammad Hamid Ansari, 2010, New Delhi.
- Master of Photography (MFIAP), Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique
- Fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain (FRPS), 1975
- EFIAP, Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique, 1960
- ESFIAP, Fédération Internationale de l'Art Photographique, 1972
- FJIAP (Japan)
- FNPAS (Sri Lanka)
- FPBS (Bangladesh)
- FPAD (India)
- FCOS (Romania)
Last health issue and death
||This section may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may only interest a specific audience. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Sen was undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Barasat near Kolkata, from 7 to 15 April 2011, as he had been suffering from retention of urine due to prostate enlargement and low haemoglobin count due to his previous heart problem with diabetes mellitus. Surgery of the prostate gland was suggested.
On the evening of 19 April 2011 Benu Sen was readmitted to the previous hospital at Barasat, for a pre-surgical preparation of prostate gland
surgery. Some physiological problems developed due to his old age. On 16 May 2011 Sen suffered from a serious chest infection, leading to the deterioration of his health and he was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). He died on 17 May 2011 in Barasat.
- "The Tribune, Chandigarh, India – Chandigarh Stories". Tribuneindia.com. 10 October 2003. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- Pictorial Photography 4th Association of Creative Photographers Salon 1989 – publication
- "International Federation of Photographic Art". FIAP. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Benu Sen, The Legend of Indian Photography". Padonline.org.in. 27 January 2010. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- Santanu Banerjee (2010). History of Journalism : A Legend of Glory. Suhrid Publication. ISBN 978-81-92151-99-1.
- Comptroller & Auditor General of India, report No. 4 of 2005 (Civil) of CHAPTER III : MINISTRY OF CULTURE, p: 37
- Benu Sen (1987). Art of photography: a guide book for creative photography. Photographic Association of Dum Dum. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Press Information Bureau Government of India. Thursday, August 19, 2010. Life-Time Achievement Awards Conferred to Four Legendary Photographers by Vice President Shri M. Hamid Ansari". pib.nic.in. 19 August 2010. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- "Sri Benu Sen Is Recovering Now (15th April, 2011)." Sri Benu Sen Is Recovering Now.(15 April 2011). Web. 15 April 2011. <http://padalumni.net/index.php> Archived 19 April 2011 at the Wayback Machine..
- "Sri Benu Sen Got Re-admitted in BCR&WC Barasat on 19th April, 2011." Web. 20 April 2011.
- "Benu Da's Operation Has Been Delayed Due to Low Level of Potassium Balance.." Welcome to the PAD Alumni. Web. 24 April 2011. <http://padalumni.net/index.php?option=com_content> Archived 23 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine..
- "PAD Alumni." Welcome to the PAD Alumni. Web. 17 May 2011. <http://padalumni.net/index.php?option=com_content> Archived 23 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine..
- The History of Journalism : A Legend of Glory by Santanu Banerjee [p. 141], Suhrid Publication, ISBN 9788192151991, 1st Edition,2013.
- Media related to Benu Sen at Wikimedia Commons