Kayal with Celtic in 2013
|Full name||Beram Kayal|
|Date of birth||2 May 1988|
|Place of birth||Jadeidi, Israel|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Central Midfielder|
|Brighton & Hove Albion|
|2015–||Brighton & Hove Albion||45||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:58, 25 January 2016 (UTC).
Beram Kayal (or Biram Keyal, Arabic: بيرم كيال, Hebrew: בירם כיאל; born 2 May 1988) is an Israeli professional footballer who plays as a central midfielder for Brighton & Hove Albion and the Israel national team. His first name is sometimes transliterated as Biram.
Kayal joined Maccabi Haifa in 2002 and made his professional debut in 2006 at the age of 18. He made 124 appearances and scored eight goals before moving to Celtic in 2010. He has received plaudits from many Scottish football pundits and was named the SPL player of the month for January 2011. In January 2015, he joined Brighton.
An Arab citizen of Israel, and full international since 2008, Kayal has earned over 25 caps for Israel.
Kayal started his career as a striker in the various Youth teams of Maccabi Haifa and scored many goals before taking on the role of a midfielder. Despite only being 16 years old at the time, he moved up to the Maccabi Haifa under-19 team for the 2004–05 campaign and excelled as part of the team that won a League and Cup double. Kayal was named the League's Outstanding Player.
He made his first-team debut for Maccabi Haifa at the end of the 2005–06 season in a 2–1 win over Maccabi Petah Tikva which sealed Maccabi's third League title in a row at the age of 17 making two appearances that season. In the 2006–07 season, he made six appearances in all competitions, but took on the role of captain of the under-19 team that won another League and Cup double. He scored a hat-trick in a league win against Beitar Jerusalem.
In the 2007–08 season Kayal became a first team regular featuring 36 times in the first-team. After that he became an integral part of the team and enjoyed success in subsequent seasons winning the Premier League and Toto Cup.
During the 2007 Torneo di Viareggio youth tournament in Italy, Kayal was praised by the Italian press for a Man of the match performance against their counterparts from Fiorentina. Both Corriere della Sera and Gazzetta dello Sport seemed to be astonished to learn that he was an Arab on an Israeli team and took a great amount of time to learn more about him.
Kayal made his debut for Celtic against FC Utrecht on 19 August 2010 and showed his full potential by getting off to the best possible start, setting up the opening goal of the game for Efraín Juárez and winning the Man of the Match award. In September 2010 he suffered a setback and was out of action for three months due to a hernia injury which required surgery. He made his return as a substitute on 26 December against St Johnstone, and was restored to the starting line-up in a 2–0 win over Rangers at Ibrox on 2 January 2011.
His performances won him the SPL Player of the Month award for January 2011, and the praise of Celtic manager Neil Lennon. His determination and competitive attitude played a key part in his side's success in his first season in Scottish football. On 9 April 2011, Kayal captained the side in a 1–0 win over St Mirren. He scored his first goal for Celtic in a 1–0 SPL win over St Johnstone on 12 April 2011. His first home goal was a long range effort against Dundee United on 1 May 2011. On 4 May, Kayal had to be taken off in the second half of an SPL match against Inverness Caledonian Thistle because of suspected concussion after a collision with Ross Tokely. Kayal sustained a fractured wrist in the same incident and subsequently missed the rest of the 2010–11 season.
Kayal captained Celtic for the second time on 10 September 2011, against Motherwell in the SPL, leading the team to a 4–0 victory at Celtic Park. He was made captain while Scott Brown was out with an ankle injury.
Kayal suffered ankle ligament damage against Rangers on 28 December 2011 after a tackle by Lee McCulloch and was stretchered off with 13 minutes to play. Celtic won the match 1–0 which sent them top of the SPL table. The injury put Kayal out of action for over four months and he returned to the side only in the last game of the season, a 5–0 win over Hearts. Later, Kayal would accused McCulloch of deliberately injuring him that he "have not forgotten that for a moment."
In the 2012 season, Kayal obtained European nationality and played an important role for the team during the Scottish League. On 22 October 2013 he scored his first goal in the UEFA Champions League against AFC Ajax in a 2–1 win.
Brighton & Hove Albion
On 23 January 2015, Kayal signed for Brighton & Hove Albion on a two-and-a-half-year deal, for an undisclosed fee. He made his debut on 7 February, scoring a consolation goal for Brighton in a 2–3 defeat at home against Nottingham Forest. On 18 August, he scored within 14 seconds away to Huddersfield Town, albeit in a 1–1 draw.
|1||26 March 2011||Ramat Gan Stadium, Israel||Latvia||2–1||Euro 2012 qualification|
Style of play
Kayal is a central midfielder but he is capable of performing various different roles within the position. He can play as a defensive midfielder, sitting in front of the back four and stifling the opposition or as a box-to-box midfielder, protecting the defenders as well as supporting the forwards. Although he is more renowned for his defensive capabilities than attacking, he is still able to contribute well to going forward.
Kayal is a tenacious, hard working midfielder, known for high stamina level, aggressive tackling and combatative edge, he also has great passing ability and quick feet. Ex-Celtic and Israel midfielder Eyal Berkovic, described him as being: "Perfect for British football. He is strong technically, very aware but really competitive...He will have no problem adapting to the style in Scotland – he will love the speed and aggression.
- As of 26 January 2016.
|Brighton & Hove Albion||2014–15||18||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||18||1|
- Maccabi Haifa
- Israel U19 League Outstanding Player Award: (2004–05)
- Israel U19 Most Valuable Player: (2006–07)
- SPL Player of The Month: January 2011 
- SPFA SPL Team of the Year: 2010–11
- Celtic complete signing of Israeli midfielder Biram Kayal guardian.co.uk, 29 July 2010
- Celtic's Beram Kayal named player of the month BBC Sport, 12 February 2011
- "Biram Kayal" (in Hebrew). Maccabi Haifa FC. 1 June 2010. Retrieved 1 June 2010.
- "Vincono Inter e Maccabi" (in Italian). Gazetta dello Sport. 7 February 2007. Retrieved 2 August 2007.
- ה"גזטה דלי ספורט" התלהב מחיפה: פיורנטינה טבעה בדממה (in Hebrew). Maccabi Haifa FC. 8 February 2007. Retrieved 2 August 2007.
- "Kayal signs for Celtic". MirrorFootball (Trinity Mirror). 29 July 2010. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
- "Celtic sign Israel midfielder Beram Kayal". BBC Sport. 29 July 2010. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- Beram Kayal Celtic FC
- Dominant Celts cruise to victory Celtic FC, 19 August 2010
- Beram Kayal makes instant impact as Celtic build cushion over Utrecht guardian.co.uk, 19 August 2010
- Kayal sidelined for two months with hernia injury STV Sport, 7 October 2010
- Preview: Celtic v St Johnstone Setanta Sports, 24 December 2010
- Celtic 2 – 0 St Johnstone BBC Sport, 26 December 2010
- Rangers 0 Celtic 2: Georgios Samaras at the double as Bhoys see off Old Firm rivals to move four points clear Mail Online, 2 January 2011
- Celtic boss Neil Lennon praises Beram Kayal's workrate BBC Sport, 13 February 2011
- Kayal has battled his way to prominence at Celtic Herald Scotland, 25 January 2011
- Impressed? You’ve seen nothing yet of Kayal Herald Scotland, 9 March 2011
- Celtic 1 – 0 St Mirren BBC Sport, 9 April 2011
- Kayal extends Hoops lead Mirror.co.uk, 12 April 2011
- Celtic 4 – 1 Dundee Utd BBC Sport, 1 May 2011
- Lennon rips into defence as Celtic suffer Inverness defeat UTV Sport, 5 May 2011
- Beram Kayal's season is over following wrist injury BBC Sport, 6 May 2011
- Beram Kayal to miss Celtic's title run-in Scotsman.com, 6 May 2011
- "Hoops hammer sloppy Steelmen". Sky Sports. 10 September 2011.
- "Celtic ace Beram Kayal: I was proud to be captain but we know how important Scott Brown is". Daily Record. 17 September 2011.
- "Celtic's Beram Kayal may not play again this season". STV. 6 January 2012.
- Forsyth, Roddy (1 January 2012). "Celtic turn title race round, now they have to finish Rangers off". The Telegraph.
- "Beram Kayal's return softens James Forrest blow for Celtic". BBC Sport. 13 April 2012.
- Moffat, Colin (15 May 2012). "Celtic 5–0 Hearts". BBC Sport.
- "Celtic midfielder Beram Kayal slams Scottish football for 'lack of technique' & accuses Lee McCulloch of deliberately crocking him". Daily Record. 2 April 2014. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Lennon's 10 men seal victory after goals from Forrest and Kayal". Daily Mail. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Brighton sign Celtic midfielder Beram Kayal". BBC. 23 January 2015.
- Shergold, Adam (7 February 2015). "Brighton 2–3 Nottingham Forest: Danny Collins, Henri Lansbury and Ben Osborn net as Dougie Freedman earns first win as boss". Mail Online. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Huddersfield 1–1 Brighton". BBC Sport. 18 August 2015. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Boker, Moshe (23 March 2011). "Holding Triumvirate". Ha'aretz. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- Kayal Beram Israel Football Association
- Israel indebted to Kayal against Latvia UEFA.com, 26 March 2011
- Biram Kayal completes Celtic transfer STV Sport, 29 July 2010
- Coveted Beram Kayal in no hurry to leave Celtic with treble in sight guardian.co.uk, 12 March 2011
- "Beram Kayal won't flop at Celtic like I did, insists Eyal Berkovic". Daily Record. 31 July 2010. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "Career History". Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. 26 January 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "Games played by Baram Kayal in 2010/2011". Soccerbase. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Games played by Baram Kayal in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Games played by Baram Kayal in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Games played by Baram Kayal in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Games played by Baram Kayal in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Games played by Baram Kayal in 2015/2016". Soccerbase. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beram Kayal.|
- Beram Kayal at CelticFC.net
- Beram Kayal career statistics at Soccerbase
- Kayal Beram Israel Football Association
- Beram Kayal at National-Football-Teams.com
- Beram Kayal profile Maccabi Haifa (Hebrew)
- Baram Kayal ESPN Soccernet
- Beram Kayal UEFA.com
- Beram kayal seagulls.co.uk