Bergenline Avenue (HBLR station)
|Location||Bergenline Avenue between 48th & 49th Streets,
Union City, NJ
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 22, 84, 86, 89, 156, 159, 181
(on Bergenline Avenue; 86 and 181 pull into the station)
(one block west on JFK Boulevard)
|Opened||February 25, 2006|
|Electrified||750 V (DC) overhead catenary|
|Passengers (2006)||325,520 0%|
Bergenline Avenue is a station on the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (HBLR). The intermodal facility is located on 49th Street between Bergenline Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard at the border of Union City, West New York and North Bergen, New Jersey The station opened for service on February 25, 2006.
Design and construction
Bergenline is the only stop on in the HBLR system with an underground platform. Located 160 feet below ridge of the Hudson Palisades in the former West Shore Railroad Terminal tunnel, it is reached by elevators traveling from street-level entrances located just north of busbays. The station was designed by FXFOWLE Architects. The four porcelain enamel on steel murals which adorn the complex are entitled Between Manhattan and Meadowlands, and were created by Maria Mijares. There are two tracks and an island platform.
Bergenline Avenue is the main shopping district in North Hudson. Just over the city line it narrows from a two way thoroughfare to a narrower one way avenue heading south (with New York Avenue one block west used for northbound travel). The New Jersey Register of Historic Places Bergenline Avenue Commercial Historic District continues to 32nd Street. The Hudson County Community College maintains a location next to the station complex on Kennedy Boulevard, with Flower Hill Cemetery across the street. Grove Church Cemetery and North Bergen Town Hall are few blocks south on the boulevard, while Flower Hill Cemetery is a few blocks north.
|At Port Imperial:
New York Waterway
Liberty State Park
|At Exchange Place:
PATH to WTC, Journal Square, Newark Penn Station
Paulus Hook Ferry Terminal
|Bayonne||Greenville and Bayonne require transfer at stations between Pavonia-Newport and Liberty State Park.|
The station is served by two lines. Westbound service on both travels one stop to the Tonnelle Avenue terminus.
Southbound service travels along the Weehawken waterfront and the west side of Hoboken. One line terminates at Hoboken Terminal, where connections to PATH trains and New Jersey Transit commuter train service are available.
- NJT 22, 22X, 84, 86, 89, 156, 159, and 181 travel on Bergenline Avenue.
- All 22X, 86, and 181 trips terminate at the station, as do some Saturday trips on the 159.
- NJT 88 and 154 stop on John F. Kennedy Boulevard, one block west.
- Bus service is augmented by guagua (minibus) southbound to Hudson County Courthouse, Newport Mall, 42nd Street (Manhattan), and northbound to Nungesser's, Anderson Avenue, and GWB Plaza. This location serves as the beginning and end terminus points for the FT 9X bus, which transports passengers to and from the George Washington Bridge Bus Station in Washington Heights, Manhattan.
- New Jersey Transit, Hudson County Bus Service Changes, Effective April 8, 2006, PDF (788 KiB) and PDF (38.4 KiB)
- Hudson County New Jersey Street Map. Hagstrom Map Company, Inc. 2008. ISBN 0-88097-763-9.
- Weehawken Tunnel
- Berliner, Harvey L; Campo David, W.; Dickerson, Charl; Mack Glenn. Design and Construction of the Weehawken Tunnel and Bergenline Avenue Station for the Hudson–Bergen Light Rail Transit System (PDF) (Report). Parsons Brinckerhoff Quade & Douglas, Inc. and New Jersey Transit. Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- FXFOWLE - Bergeline Avenue Tunnel Station
- HBLR descriptions at NYCSubway.org; Accessed January 9, 2010
- "Tonnelle Avenue to West Side Avenue" Station Reporter; Accessed January 9, 2010
- Public Art gallery at Maria Mijares' website
- NJ State Register of Historic Places in Hudson County
- North Hudson Center
- Grove Church
- Bergen Township website
- NJT Hudson–Bergen Light Rail station information page for Bergenline Avenue
- Hudson–Bergen Light Rail schedule
- Subway Nut station info and photos
- Bergenline Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bergenline Avenue (HBLR station).|