Berger Paints India
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Paint Your Imagination
|Public company (BSE: 509480, NSE: BERGEPAINT)|
|Founded||17 December 1923|
|Kuldip Singh Dhingra (Chairman), Gurbachan Singh Dhingra (Vice Chairman), Abhijit Roy (MD and CEO)|
|Products||Paints, Coatings, Wallpaper, Construction Chemicals and allied products.|
|Services||Home Painting, Preview Facility, Virtual Painter, Paint Calculator, Express Painting|
|Revenue||₹46.3412 billion (US$690 million) (2016) |
|₹6.5541 billion (US$97 million) (2016) |
|Profit||₹3.6977 billion (US$55 million) (2016) |
|Total assets||₹29.1008 billion (US$430 million) (2016) |
Number of employees
Berger Paints India Ltd is the largest Paint company in India and a market leader in Industrial Paint for the past 45 years with a consistent track record of being one of the fastest growing paint companies in the world, quarter on quarter, for the past few years.[not in citation given] Headquartered at Kolkata it has 10 manufacturing units and over 110 stock points. The company also has an international presence in 4 countries – Russia, Poland, Nepal and Bangladesh. With employee strength of over 2,800 and a countrywide distribution network of 25,000+ dealers, Berger is established in the sector with a varied portfolio of paints and tailor-made customer services.
In 1770, Louis Steigenberger moved from Frankfurt to London to sell a Prussian blue colour, which was made using his own formula. He then changed his name to Lewis Berger and by 1870 Berger Paints was selling 19 different pigments, including black lead, sulphur, sealing wax and mustard. After the demise of Lewis Berger his sons took over the business. Sherwin-Williams, an American company bought control of the company in the 1900s. By the 1940s Mr. Hadfield set up Hadfield's (India) Ltd., a small paint company in Kolkata on 17 December 1923. Towards the end of 1947, British Paints acquired Hadfield's (India) Ltd and thus British Paints (India) Ltd was incorporated in the State of West Bengal. In 1951, sales offices were opened in Delhi and Mumbai and a depot was started in Guwahati. This resulted in sales rising to Rs. 6 million in 1952. In 1969 Berger, Jenson Nicholson Limited, UK bought British Paints (India) Ltd. This marked the beginning of Lewis Berger’s legacy in India - which the company would later take forward to enviable heights. D. Madhukar took over as the Managing Director in the year 1973. Under him the company became the fastest growing company in the paint industry as sales figures reached over Rs. 160 million by 1978.  The 80s and the 90s saw the launch of many new products such as emulsions and distempers. In 1991 UB group sold the company to Kuldip Singh Dhingra (Chairman) and Gurbachan Singh Dhingra (Vice Chairman). Mr. Subir Bose took over as Managing Director on 1 July, 1994. Mr Bose retired on 30 June, 2012, handing over the reign of the company to Mr. Abhijit Roy, who is the current Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer. 
Products and Services
Berger Paints is the second largest paints company in India with a wide portfolio of paints and tailoer-made services in every paint segment. Berger Paints offers various products for Home Users, Professional Users and Industrial Users.
- Interior Wall Coatings: Berger Paints has a range of designer finishes, interior emulsion and interior wall distempers. Silk Illusions, Easy Clean, Rangoli Total Care, Bison Acrylic Emulsion and Bison Distemper to name a few.
- Exterior Wall Coatings: Berger Paints has a range of exterior emulsions and texture finishes like WeatherCoat All Guard, WeatherCoat Longlife, Walmasta, WeatherCoat Texture, Tartaruga etc.
- Berger Metal and Wood Paints: Berger Paints has a variety of enamels and clear wood range like Breathe Easy, Luxol, Woodkeeper, Imperia.
- Protective Coating: Berger Protection is a protective coating range from Berger Paints that helps prevent corrosion of concrete or steel substrates. Berger Protecton Range of Coatings include Chlororubber, Epoxies, Inorganic Zincs, Polyurethane, Poly-siloxanes, High temperature resistant coatings, Anti-carbonation coatings, Road marking, Airfield marking, Concrete coatings, Rebar coatings, Floor coatings and Green Coatings.
- Undercoats: Berger Paints has a range of quick drying undercoats like Cement Primer (WT & ST), White Primer, Illusion Sealer, Weathercoat Exterior Primer, Bison Wall Putty etc.
- Construction Chemicals by Berger Paints include products like Crack Fill Paste, Latex Plus, Latex Shield 2K, Dampshield 2K, Tile Adhesive Plus, Cementmix Plus and Tile Adhesive.
- Home Users: Facilities and services provided for home users include Express Painting, Preview Facility, Virtual Painter and Paint Calculator.
- Professional Users: Berger Prolinks for recommending products and processes, Projects for residential, commercial, healthcare and hospitality, educational, industrial, religious and other public spaces; Expert advice and other professional services like project coordination, site audit and inspection, consultancy, bulk purchases etc.
- Industrial Users: Services offered for industrial use include GI & Automotive Coatings, Powder Coatings and Protective Coatings.
Awards and Recognition
- Berger Paints India included in the list of Top 7 Value Creators by Forbes India's – (2016 Anniversary Edition) 
- Berger Paints India ranked 24th among the Top paint companies in the world by Coatings World – Top Companies Report 2015 (July 2015 Issue) 
- Berger Paints India included in the list of India's Super 50 companies by Forbes India (July 2015 issue) 
- Berger Paints India included in the list of Top 50 Most Valuable Brands 2015 by BrandZ 
- Berger Paints India felicitated in 10th Annual Construction World Global Awards 2012,2013,2014,2015 consecutively.
- Berger Paints India recognized for Leadership in the paint category -2012 by Builder Information Bureau (BIB)
- Berger Paints India felicitated as Most Trusted Brand 2008 in Reader’s Digest Gold Award -2008
- Berger Paints India felicitated for Outstanding Contribution in Product Development – OEM customer M/S Whirlpool 2005
- Berger Paints India felicitated as Fastest Growing Paint Company by Construction World - NICMAR Award 2005
Apart from operations in Russia, with a production facility at the Berger manufacturing unit at Krasnodar, Berger has also expanded its footprint in Nepal by setting up a second unit. Today Berger’s sister company in Bangladesh is the dominant leader with over 65% market share. In keeping with the Company’s dynamic growth plan, Berger has also acquired Bolix SA of Poland, a leading provider of External Insulation Finishing Systems (EIFS) in Eastern Europe. As Berger continues to grow internationally also continues to be the second largest paint company in India. 
- "Berger Paints India Quarterly Results | Berger Paints India Q3FY16 standalone net profit rises 38% yoy to Rs. 101 crore : Misses Estimates". www.indiainfoline.com. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- "Berger Paints - International- Global Group Presence". www.bergerpaints.com. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- Bureau, Our (2015-09-16). "Berger Paints unveils new initiative for residential buildings". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/et-now/corporate/berger-paints-india-to-set-up-plant-in-russia/videoshow/46296404.cms, https://www.bergerpaints.com/about-us/global-presence.html