Berkeley Moynihan, 1st Baron Moynihan
Berkeley George Andrew Moynihan, 1st Baron Moynihan, KCMG, CB (2 October 1865 – 7 September 1936), known as Sir Berkeley Moynihan 1st Baronet, from 1922 to 1929, was a noted British abdominal surgeon.
Moynihan was born in Malta in 1865, the son of Captain Andrew Moynihan, VC. His father died in 1867 and Moynihan moved with his mother to Leeds, Yorkshire. He was educated in Leeds and the Blue Coat School, Newgate Street, London (1875–1881).
After two years at the Royal Naval School, Eltham, he returned to Leeds to study medicine at the Leeds School of Medicine. He graduated MB BS at the University of London in 1887 and joined Leeds General Infirmary as house surgeon. He was then successively demonstrator of anatomy in the Medical School (1893–96), assistant surgeon to the infirmary (1896), surgeon from 1906 and consulting surgeon from 1927 until his death.
By the end of the Great War Moynihan held the rank of major-general in the British Army and had been chairman of the Army Advisory Board from 1916 and chairman of the council of consultants 1916 to 1919.
Moynihan was knighted in 1912, appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) in 1917, a Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael & St George (KCMG) in 1918 and created a Baronet of Carr Manor in 1922. On 19 March 1929 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Moynihan, of Leeds in the County of York.
- Hon Dorothy Wellesley Moynihan (born 1897)
- Hon Shelagh Berkeley Moynihan (born 1902), married Henry Wynn Parry, BCh in 1923
- Patrick Berkeley Moynihan, 2nd Baron Moynihan (born 29 July 1906, died 30 April 1965)
Lady Moynihan died on 1 September 1936. Lord Moynihan died six days later at the age of 70 and was succeeded in the barony and baronetcy by his only son Patrick.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sir Berkeley Moynihan Consulting Rooms, Park Place West, Leeds.|
- "Moynihan, Lord Berkeley: Papers and Case Books". Royal College of Surgeons. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- Raymond Whiting, A Natural Right to Die: Twenty-Three Centuries of Debate (Westport, Connecticut, 2001), p. 41
- The London Gazette: . 12 July 1912.
- The London Gazette: . 3 June 1918.
- The London Gazette: . 28 July 1022.
- The London Gazette: . 22 March 1929.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Freebmd search
- The Peerage, entry for 1st Baron Moynihan
- Armorial Families, entry for Moynihan
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Short biography of Lord Moynihan
- Biography of Lord Moynihan
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Patrick Berkeley Moynihan