Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra
The Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra (Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin) is a German symphony orchestra based in Berlin. In Berlin, the orchestra gives concerts at the Konzerthaus Berlin and at the Berliner Philharmonie. The orchestra has also given concerts in other German cities such as Aschaffenburg, Essen, Halle, Oldenburg, and Wiesbaden.
The orchestra was founded in 1923 as a radio orchestra, and is the oldest active radio orchestra in Germany. Bruno Seidler-Winkler was the first chief conductor, from 1926 to 1932. During its early years, the orchestra had a reputation for its work with contemporary, 20th-century composers. Composers who guest-conducted the orchestra included Paul Hindemith, Arthur Honegger, Darius Milhaud, Sergei Prokofiev, Richard Strauss, Arnold Schoenberg and Igor Stravinsky, as well as Krzysztof Penderecki, Walter Schartner and Udo Zimmermann. After the 1949 division of Germany, the orchestra was under the supervision of Rundfunk der DDR (DDR Radio).
The orchestra's most recent chief conductor was Marek Janowski, who had a lifetime contract with the orchestra. He served in the post from 2002 to 2015. In September 2015, the orchestra announced the appointment of Vladimir Jurowski as its next chief conductor, effective with the 2017-2018 season.
The orchestra has recorded commercially for such labels as Pentatone, including ten operas of Richard Wagner with Janowski conducting, and the Symphony No 3 of Alfred Schnittke with Jurowski. Other recordings include the piano concerto by Max Reger for Hyperion, and Die Ersten Menschen of Rudi Stephan, for CPO.
- Bruno Seidler-Winkler (1926–1932)
- Eugen Jochum (1932–1934)
- Sergiu Celibidache (1945–1946)
- Hermann Abendroth (1953–1956)
- Rolf Kleinert (1959–1973)
- Heinz Rögner (1973–1993)
- Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos (1994–2000)
- Marek Janowski (2002–2015)
- Vladimir Jurowski (2017-present)
- "Der Dirigent Marek Janowski wird 70". Die Welt. 2009-02-18. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "Vladimir Jurowski wird RSB-Chefdirigent" (Press release). Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra. October 2015. Retrieved 2015-10-10.
- Volker Blech (2015-10-09). "Feuerkopf und Charmeur". Berliner Morgenpost. Retrieved 2015-10-10.
- Andrew Clements (2012-03-29). "Wagner: Parsifal – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Andrew Clements (2013-05-30). "Wagner: Das Rheingold – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Andrew Clements (2013-10-24). "Wagner: Die Walküre – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Tim Ashley (2011-05-05). "Reger: Piano Concerto in F Minor; Strauss: Burleske – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Andrew Clements (2006-05-18). "Stephan: Die Ersten Menschen, Nimsgern/ Ronge/ Cerny/ Aschenbach/ Berlin RSO/ Rickenbacher". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-06-29.