Berlin State Museums
The Berlin State Museums (German: Staatliche Museen zu Berlin) are a group of institutions in Berlin, Germany, comprising seventeen museums in five clusters, several research institutes, libraries, and supporting facilities. They are overseen by the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation and funded by the German federal government in collaboration with Germany's federal states. The central complex on Museum Island was added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1999. By 2007 the Berlin State Museums had grown into the largest complex of museums in Europe.
Director-general of the Berlin State Museums is Michael Eissenhauer.
- Museum Island
- Altes Museum: Roman and Greek Classical Antiquities
- Alte Nationalgalerie: 19th century sculptures and paintings.
- Bode-Museum: the Numismatic Collection, Sculpture Collection and the Museum of Byzantine Art
- Neues Museum: the Egyptian Museum of Berlin and its Papyrus Collection, and the Museum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte (Prehistory and Early History)
- Pergamon Museum: the Antikensammlung Berlin, Museum of Islamic art, Museum of the Ancient Near East and the Central Archive
- Friedrichswerder Church: early 19th century sculptures
- Hamburger Bahnhof: Museum for contemporary art including the Flick Collection
- Museum Berggruen: classic modern art
- Museum of Photography / Helmut Newton Foundation
- Museum Scharf-Gerstenberg: surrealist art
- Gipsformerei (Replica workshop)
- Ethnological Museum of Berlin: American Archaeology, Music Ethnology, North American Indians, South Sea, East Asia, Africa, Junior Museum
- Museum of Asian Art: Collection of South, Southeast and Central Asian Art; Collection of East Asian Art
- Museum Europäischer Kulturen: European Cultures
- Two locations, Haus Unter Den Linden and Haus Potstdamer Straße, are open to the public; various others are not.
- Institute for Museum Research
- Rathgen Research Laboratory
- Center for Provenance Research and Investigation
- Langels, Otto: "Constitutional Reality: 50 years of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation", in German, Deutschlandradio, 25 July 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Berlin State Museums.|