Berlin Township, Ionia County, Michigan
Berlin Township, Michigan
|• Total||41.9 sq mi (108.5 km2)|
|• Land||41.6 sq mi (107.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||840 ft (256 m)|
|• Density||67.0/sq mi (25.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625923|
Berlin Township was organized in 1839 with Alonzo Sessions as the first supervisor.
- Berlin Center is an unincorporated community near the center of the township at .
- Doris was the name of a post office in this township from 1899 until 1901.
- Gridley was the name of a post office here from 1900 to 1901.
- The city of Ionia is adjacent to the northeast and has incorporated a small portion of land in the township.
- The village of Saranac is adjacent to the west.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 41.9 square miles (109 km2), of which 41.6 square miles (108 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) (0.64%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,787 people, 689 households, and 547 families residing in the township. The population density was 67.0 per square mile (25.9/km2). There were 724 housing units at an average density of 17.4 per square mile (6.7/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 81.59% White, 13.81% African American, 1.40% Native American, 0.39% Asian, 0.79% from other races, and 2.01% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.22% of the population.
There were 689 households, out of which 36.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.7% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.6% were non-families. 17.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the township the population was spread out, with 16.9% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 40.1% from 25 to 44, 24.5% from 45 to 64, and 8.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 200.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 234.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $48,158, and the median income for a family was $55,852. Males had a median income of $40,867 versus $27,563 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,780. About 4.0% of families and 5.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.8% of those under age 18 and 6.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Berlin Township, Ionia County, Michigan
- Romig 1986, p. 58.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Berlin Center, Michigan
- Romig 1986, p. 160.
- Romig 1986, p. 240.