Bern Township, Athens County, Ohio
|Bern Township, Athens County, Ohio|
Location of Bern Township in Athens County
|• Total||31.4 sq mi (81.4 km2)|
|• Land||31.3 sq mi (81.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||650 ft (198 m)|
|• Density||18/sq mi (7.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085751|
Located in the northeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Marion Township, Morgan County - north
- Wesley Township, Washington County - east
- Decatur Township, Washington County - southeast corner
- Rome Township - south
- Canaan Township - southwest corner
- Ames Township - west
- Homer Township, Morgan County - northwest corner
Name and history
Bern Township was organized in 1828.
It is the only Bern Township statewide, although there is a Berne Township in Fairfield County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Bern township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Walker, Charles Manning (1869). History of Athens County, Ohio, And, Incidentally, of the Ohio Land Company and the First Settlement of the State at Marietta. Robert Clarke & Company. p. 434.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.