Bernadeth, art by John Byrne
|First appearance||Mister Miracle vol. 1 #6,
|Created by||Jack Kirby (writer & artist)|
|Place of origin||Apokolips|
|Team affiliations||Female Furies|
Fictional character biography
Co-leader of the Female Furies, Bernadeth wields a "fahren-knife" that burns her victims from the inside. As the sister of Darkseid's servant, Desaad, Bernadeth is both notorious and feared by the masses of Apokolips. She was one of the first Furies to be recruited, though Bernadeth hated being led by others. When Big Barda left for Earth to be with Mister Miracle, Bernadeth joined her alongside Lashina, Stompa, and Mad Harriet for a brief period of time.
Later, Bernadeth returned to Apokolips with the other Furies sans Barda. Bernadeth saw Barda's permanent defecting as a way to gain leadership herself. However, Darkseid rewarded Lashina with leadership of the Furies. During a mission to retrieve Glorious Godfrey, Bernadeth betrayed Lashina and left her on Earth. Because of this, Bernadeth was temporarily able to achieve leadership over the Furies. When Lashina returned to Apokolips with the Suicide Squad, she snapped Bernadeth's neck after a long and fierce battle. Darkseid was appalled by the fact that Lashina brought outsiders to Apokolips, so he killed her and resurrected Bernadeth, although he later brought Lashina back to life as well. Afterwards, Bernadeth agreed to share leadership duties.
Later on Apokalips, she was seen along with the rest of the Furies testing Granny Goodness' newest recruit Precious. After Supergirl's capture, Bernadeth and her teammates were defeated by Wonder Woman and Big Barda.
During Countdown to Final Crisis, Bernadeth attempted and failed to stop Jimmy Olsen and Forager from escaping Apokolips. After they escaped, Bernadeth was confronted by the Infinity-Man, presumably resulting in her death.
Bernadeth later appeared in as part of the "Dark Side Club." She created drugs that helped Granny Goodness brainwash superheroes into fighting at the Dark Side Club arena. She also experimented on cell samples from the club's victims, and thereby was the first to learn that Black Alice was related to Misfit.
The New 52
After Darkseid had been enslaved by his daughter Grail during The New 52 (a reboot of the DC Comics universe), Bernadeth and the other Female Furies accepted an offer from Big Barda to help defeat Grail as well as to protect Barda's husband, Mister Miracle. Bernadeth participated in the final battle against Grail and Darkseid, which resulted in the pair's defeat. Bernadeth then left for Apokolips with the rest of the Furies, including Barda.
Powers and abilities
Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman
Bernadeth appears in the story "Dig For Fire" in the anthology series Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman. After discovering that Wonder Woman had traveled to Apokolips to save two of her amazon sisters, Lashina, Stompa and Mad Harriet tracked her down. The trio refused to speak peacefully to Wonder Woman, and in the ensuing battle, the heroine was shot in the neck by an explosive dart from Bernadeth and thrown into the fiery pits by Stompa. When the Furies reported back to Darkseid, he was displeased that they had killed her rather than executing her publicly. Wonder Woman, still alive, managed to save her sisters. The Furies once again battled the amazon, though the battle ended when Darkseid killed the two amazons and allowed Wonder Woman to return to Earth.
In other media
- Bernadeth appeared in Justice League Unlimited episode "Alive" voiced by Jennifer Hale. She and the other Furies battled on Granny Goodness' side against the armies led by Virman Vunderbarr and Kanto. Before the battle can commence, Darkseid returns and ends the Civil War.
- Bernadeth appears in the Justice League Action episode "It'll Take a Miracle." She accompanies Granny Goodness and Lashina into competing with Batman to retrieve the Anti-Life Equation from Mister Miracle when Big Barda's life is being threatened by Darkseid.
- An alternate version of Bernadeth briefly appears in Justice League: Gods and Monsters. This version closely resembles her appearance from Justice League Unlimited.
- In Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure, Bernadeth is one of the thousands of characters that can be summoned by the player.
- Jimenez, Phil (2008), "Bernadeth", in Dougall, Alastair, The DC Comics Encyclopedia, London: Dorling Kindersley, p. 46, ISBN 0-7566-4119-5
- Wallace, Dan (2008), "Female Furies", in Dougall, Alastair, The DC Comics Encyclopedia, New York: Dorling Kindersley, p. 120, ISBN 0-7566-4119-5, OCLC 213309017
- Mister Miracle #8-12 (1972-1973)
- New Gods #6 (1984)
- Suicide Squad #3 (1987)
- Suicide Squad #34-36 (1989)
- Mister Miracle #17-18 (1990)
- Countdown to Final Crisis #19 (2007)
- Birds of Prey #118
- Justice League #50 (2016)
- The DC Comics Encyclopedia
- Unlimited Access #4 (1998)
- Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #16-18 (digital)