Bernadette Louise Dean
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Bernadette Louise Dean|
|Born||Bernadette Louise Menezes|
|Alma mater||University of Alberta, Canada|
|Occupation||academic and educator|
|Employer||VM Institute for Education, Karachi|
|Known for||Principal of Kinnaird College, Lahore|
|Board member of||
St. Patrick's College (Karachi)
|Awards||Civic Educator Award 2008|
She completed an M.Sc (Psychology) at the University of Karachi. She earned her M.Ed (Teacher Education) from the Aga Khan University's Institute for Educational Development (AKU-IED). She also earned a Ph.D from the University of Alberta, Canada.
She joined the Aga Khan University's Institute for Educational Development (IED) in 1996. She was promoted to the rank of Assistant Professor at the University in 2000. Her major areas of responsibility were to develop policies and procedures in relation to faculty development (appointments, promotions, academic assessment and admissions), coordinating social studies education, both at the M.Ed. and Cert. Ed. levels. She specializes in social studies and citizenship education, curriculum development and action research.
In December 2008 she was awarded the Centre for Civic Education Pakistan’s Civic Educator Award 2008.
Since joining St. Joseph’s Dean has introduced a computer science programme for intermediate students and a four-year BBA programme.
On February 13, 2012, the British Council launched the second Global Citizenship Course (GCC) in collaboration with National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) under their Global School Partnerships (GSP) program. Dean designed the course and will be delivering it.
In 2014 she left St. Joseph's College to join the VM Institute for Education, Karachi, as its Director.
She is a member of the following professional associations and boards:
- Founder Member, Association of Social Studies Educators and Teachers (ASSET)
- Founder Member, South Asian Forum for Education Development (SAFED)
- Council of Social Sciences Pakistan (CSSP)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Citizenship, Teaching and Learning (IJCTL)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal Educational Action Research (JCAR)
- Board of Governors, St. Patrick's College, Karachi
- Academic Committee of Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), Pakistan
- The General Assembly of the International Association for the Advancement of Curriculum Studies (Representing Pakistan)
She is an active member of St. Lawrence’s Church, Karachi. Even as a student and the leader of the Legion of Mary she regularly visited the psychiatric ward of Jinnah Hospital. She also worked with Bro. Norman Wray in the Breakthrough group and paid regular visits to the Karachi Central Jail.
In 2014 she was living in Karachi with her husband and has two daughters.
- "University of Alberta News October 2000".
- The Daily Mail December 20, 2008 Archived December 27, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Nation August 23, 2009".
- "Goans of Pakistan".
- Kinnaird College Association USA website
- The Express Tribune, November 18, 2012
- Express Tribune February 14, 2012
- Dawn March 26, 2014
- "Aga Khan University Institute for Educational Development". Archived from the original on 2008-08-21.
- "UCANews.com April 15, 2008".
- Mascarenhas, Oswin (2011). The Origin and Evolution of St Lawrence's Parish, Karachi, Pakistan: The Garden Area with the Settlement of the Christian Community (Kindle Locations 2729-2731). Kindle Edition.