Bernadette Sands McKevitt
She lived in the mainly loyalist Rathcoole area of Newtownabbey before her family were forced out of their home, when they moved to republican West Belfast. She is the younger sister of Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) hunger striker Bobby Sands. She was unable to attend his funeral because she was on the run at the time.
Her husband Michael McKevitt was the Quartermaster General of the IRA and later a founding member of an anti-Good Friday Agreement splinter group commonly known as the Real Irish Republican Army. Bernadette and McKevitt have three children.
- O'Hearn, Denis (2006). Bobby Sands: Nothing but an Unfinished Song. Pluto Books. p. 3. ISBN 0-7453-2572-6.
- "The bombers have blown a hole in more than the BBC". The Guardian. 5 March 2001.
- "Links with terror group rejected". BBC. 17 August 1997.
- "Father of Maze hunger striker Bobby Sands dies at the age of 91". Belfast Newsletter. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Bobby Sands film fuels argument over Sinn Fein 'sell-out'". Belfast Telegraph. 22 May 2008.
- Village.IE.Interview with Bernadette Sands 1 February 1998, retrieved 1 October 2008
|This Northern Ireland biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|