Bernard with Brazil in 2014.
|Full name||Bernard Anício Caldeira Duarte|
|Date of birth||8 September 1992|
|Place of birth||Belo Horizonte, Brazil|
|Height||1.64 m (5 ft 4 1⁄2 in)|
|1997–2006||Comercial EC do Barreiro|
|2010||→ Democrata (loan)||16||(14)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 August 2015.
Bernard Anício Caldeira Duarte (born 8 September 1992), better known as Bernard (Brazilian Portuguese: [bɛʁˈnaʁ]) and Bernard Duarte, is a Brazilian footballer who plays for Shakhtar Donetsk in the Ukrainian Premier League, as a winger. A left-sided player, Bernard is known for his pace and energy.
Bernard started his footballing career in 2006, joining Atlético Mineiro's youth system, but was released twice because of his short height. In 2010, he was loaned to Democrata FC (back then, a club which was made up entirely of Atlético Mineiro's youth players), to play in Campeonato Mineiro Third Level.
After being the top goalscorer at Democrata, with 14 goals in 16 games, Bernard returned to Atlético. Though young enough to play in Copa São Paulo de Juniores, he was called up by the manager Dorival Júnior to play for first team. He made his debut with the club in the match against Uberaba, on 23 March 2011, playing in the right back position due to a high number of injuries within the squad. He then returned to youth squads, scoring the winning goal of the Taça Belo Horizonte de Juniores.
After Dorival's dismissal and the appointment of Cuca, Bernard returned to the first team squad. On 21 May, he made his Série A debut, against Atlético Paranaense. In his first season, Bernard made 23 appearances. Qatari club Al Ahli Doha made a £3.4 million bid for the player, but this was rejected.
He scored his first professional goal on 29 January 2012, against Boa Esporte, and his first Série A goal on 23 June, in a 5–1 win against Náutico. He finished the season with 36 appearances, and was joint top scorer with 11 goals scoring eleven times, as Atlético finished second in the league, and also won Brasileirão's Best Newcomer.
Bernard signed a 5-year deal with Shaktar Donetsk in August 2013. He made his debut for the Ukrainian side on 31 August, coming on as a substitute in a 1-1 draw with FC Metalist Kharkiv. Bernard was chosen as one of the top 11 South American players 2013 by the Spanish newspaper El País.
Bernard was first called up for Brazil on 11 September 2012, to the Superclásico de las Américas, by coach Mano Menezes. He made his debut for Brazil as a 74th-minute substitute for Lucas Marques on 21 November 2012, in the 2nd leg of the 2012 Superclásico de las Américas against Argentina, where the Seleção won the title on penalties.
He was selected in Brazil's squad for their hosting of the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, making his first appearance in the final group game against Italy for the last 20 minutes in place of Neymar. He also came on as a substitute in the semi-final victory over Uruguay, as Brazil went on to win the trophy.
After being regularly called up by manager Luiz Felipe Scolari, Bernard was named among the final 23-man squad ahead of 2014 FIFA World Cup on 7 May 2014. He played in the opening game against Croatia as a substitute for Hulk, and came on at half-time in Brazil's second group game against Mexico, a 0–0 draw. He was then unused until his first start in a major tournament, playing all 90 minutes of the 7–1 defeat to Germany in his hometown of Belo Horizonte.
- As of match played 14 July 2015
|Club||Season||National League||National Cup||Continental1||Other2||Total|
2 Including matches for State Leagues, and Ukrainian Super Cup.
- As of match played 8 July 2014
- Scores and results list Brazil's goal tally first.
|1.||16 November 2013||Sun Life Stadium, Miami, United States||Honduras||1–0||5–0||Friendly|
- Atlético Mineiro
- Shakhtar Donetsk
- "Squad lists for the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013" (PDF). Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). 7 June 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Atkins, Christopher. "World Cup 2014: Ten potential breakout stars". www.espnfc.com. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Entrevista Exclusiva: Bernard (Exclusive interview: Bernard); Galo de Prata, 12 December 2010 (Portuguese)
- Democrata já tem grupo definido para o mineiro (Democrata already has a definitive role to play in Mineiro); Portal Sete, 13 August 2010 (Portuguese)
- Além de reforços, Dorival Júnior vai receber jogadores da categoria de base (In addition to signings, Dorival Júnior will receive youth team players); Superesporte, 1 January 2011 (Portuguese)
- 201111 Atlético 1 x 1 Uberaba-MG; Galo Digital, 23 March 2011 (Portuguese)
- Elogiado por Dorival, Bernard comemora boa estreia na lateral (Praised by Dorival, Bernard celebrates good debut as a full back); Terra, 24 March 2011 (Portuguese)
- Jovem Bernard desencanta e marca primeiro gol como profissional do Atlético (Bernard scores first professional goal for Atlético); Super Esportes, 29 January 2012 (Portuguese)
- Na estreia em BH, R49 faz um gol, e Atlético-MG goleia o Náutico por 5 a 1 (In BH's debut, R49 scores once, and Atlético-MG thrashes Náutico by 5–1); Globo Esporte, 23 June 2012 (Portuguese)
- Eleito revelação do Brasileirão, Bernard atribui feito a Ronaldinho: "Cresci com ele" (Elected Brasileirão's best newcomer, Bernard dedicates trophy to Ronaldinho: "I have learned much with him"); UOL Esporte, 23 November 2012 (Portuguese)
- Após recusa de proposta pelo Atlético-MG, Bernard segue com futuro indefinido (After bid was rejected by Atlético-MG, Bernard is still has undetermined future); UOL Esporte, 19 December 2012 (Portuguese)
- Atletico Mineiro accept Shakhtar Donetsk's Bernard bid; Goal.com, 30 July 2013
- Shakhtar Donetsk announce Bernard signing; Goal.com, 8 August 2013
- Shakhtar vs Metalist: the strongest play out a draw; Shakhtar's official website, 31 August 2013
- Неймар и Бернард попали в символическую сборной Южной Америки в 2013 году (Neymar and Bernard were in symbolic team of South America in 2013); UA, 1 January 2014 (Russian)
- Жо, Неймар и Бернард попали в символическую сборной Южной Америки в 2013 году (Jô, Neymar and Bernard were in symbolic team of South America in 2013); Sport.ru, 1 January 2014 (Russian)
- Mano Menezes aposta em base paulista e Fabuloso para o Superclássico
- World Cup 2014: Kaka and Robinho omitted from Brazil squad; BBC Sport, 7 May 2014
- Soccerway profile
- "Bernard". National Football Teams. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bernard Anício Caldeira Duarte.|
- Bernard on Twitter
- Bernard on Instagram
- Biography on The Elastico
- (Portuguese) Galo Digital
- (Portuguese) Zerozero