Bernard J. Liska
|Dr. Bernard Liska|
|Born||May 31, 1931
|Died||November 11, 2002
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin–Madison|
|Institutions||University of Florida
Bernard J. Liska (May 31, 1931-November 11, 2002) was an American food scientist who was involved in the creation of the Food Science Department at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana. He also served as President of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) in 1984-85 and was Scientific Editor of the Journal of Food Science from 1970 to 1981 as well.
Early life and career
A native of Hillsboro, Wisconsin, Liska earned his B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. After earning his Ph.D at Wisconsin, he joined the faculty at the University of Florida as an assistant professor of Dairy science before joining Purdue University as an assistant professor of food science in 1959.
Career at Purdue
Joing Purdue in 1959, Liska would be named director of the Food Science Institute in 1968. He then became director of the Agriculture Experiment Station in 1975, and Dean of the School of Agriculture in 1980. During his tenure as Dean of Agriculture, Liska strengthened the basic sciences of the school, before stepping down as Dean in 1985. The Department of Food Science  was established during Liska's tenure in 1983. He would remain at Purdue as Professor of Food Science until his 1997 retirement.
Liska was a member of the American Dairy Science Association, American Dietetic Association, and IFT among others. His greatest service was with IFT, where he served as President in 1984-85 and was scientific editor of the Journal of Food Science from 1970 to 1981.
- Fellow - Institute of Food Technologists (1979).
- Certificate of Distinction - Purdue University School of Agriculture (1995).
- Outstanding Food Science Award - Purdue University Department of Food Science (2001).
Liska died in Houston, Texas on November 11, 2002.
- McGee, C.E., G.S. Born, J.E. Christian, and B.J. Liska. (1969). "Improved extration procedure for 2,3,5-trilodobenzoic acid from milk and milk products." Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 4(5): 306-310.
- "In Memoriam: Bernard J. Liska." Food Technology. December 2002: p. 16.
- Nelson, Philip E. "Memorial Resolution. Bernard J. "Bernie" Liska. Former Dean of the School of Agriculture. Professor Emeritus of Food Science. May 31, 1931 - November 11, 2002." In Purdue University Faculty Senate Minutes - 27 January 2003. West Lafayette, Indiana: Purdue University. pp. 29–30.