Bernard Jackson (quarterback)
Jackson before the 2007 Spring Game
|Date of birth||April 2, 1985|
|Place of birth||Los Angeles, California|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg)|
Bernard Jackson (born April 2, 1985) is a former American football player. He played college football as a quarterback at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As a junior he was the starter for a majority of the 2006 season before losing his eligibility for academic reasons for his senior season.
Jackson redshirted his freshman year at Colorado, where he was a communications major. In 2004, he saw action in six games at wide receiver and punt returner with minimal statistics recorded. He dislocated his elbow during a punt return which caused him to miss three games.
In 2005, Jackson saw action in six games early in the season, mainly in spot action and as a kick returner and tailback, again recording minimal statistics.
With a new head coach, Dan Hawkins, all positions were up for grabs (except the kicker, which Mason Crosby already had a lock on the position), especially the quarterback position with Joel Klatt's eligibility used up. James Cox, the only senior quarterback on the team and the only quarterback with career starts for experience was thought to be the favorite. But he missed all of spring training with a broken thumb while his two main competitors, juniors Jackson and Brian White practiced. (Cody Hawkins, also the head coach's son, redshirted for the 2006 season.) On August 20, 2006, Coach Hawkins announced Cox would be the starting quarterback. He started the first game of the season on September 2, 2006 against Division I-AA Montana State. Colorado lost the game 19-10 in the start of the horrible season. Cox went 8-22 with no touchdowns or interceptions. Cox was surprisingly replaced as starter the following week by Jackson. Jackson remained the starter for the rest of the season.
Jackson had strong competition from Cody Hawkins, Matt Ballenger, and Nick Nelson to remain the quarterback for this season. He was named one of three captains for the 2007 season prior to spring practice, where it was reported he may switch to another position. However, he was not able to remain academically eligible and did not play this season and was out of eligibility.
Walked onto football team at Colorado State University-Pueblo. http://www.gothunderwolves.com/sports/fball/2010-11/bios/Bernard_Jackson
Jackson and teammate Lionel Harris were arrested on suspicion of first-degree burglary, aggravated robbery and felony menacing in connection with a June 5 robbery in an apartment in the 1000 block of University Avenue. On January 22, 2009 Jackson plead guilty to lesser crimes and was sentenced to 5 and one-half years in prison.
- Erich Schubert (2006-03-10). "Spring is Upon Us". CUBuffs.com. Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- Erich Schubert (2006-08-20). "James Cox Named Starting Quarterback for Buffs". CUBuffs.com. Retrieved 2006-08-25.
- Kyle Ringo (2006-08-30). "A long-awaited fresh start". Dailycamera.com. Retrieved 2007-03-14.[dead link]
- Kyle Ringo (2006-10-31). "Cox: 'It's always something'". Dailycamera.com. Retrieved 2007-03-14.[dead link]
- Jake Schaller (2006-09-04). "CSU 14, CU 10 at Invesco Field at Mile High". Gazette.com. Retrieved 2007-03-14.
- Kyle Ringo (2007-03-18). "Jackson may move from QB". Dailycamera.com. Archived from the original on 2007-03-22. Retrieved 2007-03-19.
- "Jackson Official Biography". CUBuffs.com. 2006-08-01. Retrieved 2007-03-19.
- "2006 Season Statistics" (PDF). CUBuffs.com. Retrieved 2007-03-19.
- "Former Buffs sentenced to 5½ years for armed robbery". 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2009-01-23.[dead link]