Bernard McGinn (theologian)
|Occupation||Professor (Emeritus), University of Chicago, Divinity School|
|The Presence of God|
|Tradition or movement||Roman Catholic|
Bernard McGinn (born 1937) is an American Roman Catholic theologian, religious historian, and scholar of spirituality. He is Naomi Shenstone Donnelley Professor Emeritus of Historical Theology and of the History of Christianity in the Divinity School and the Committees on Medieval Studies and on General Studies at the University of Chicago. He received educational degrees from the Pontifical Gregorian University (STL, 1963) and from Brandeis University (PhD, 1970). Although he assumed emeritus status in 2003, he has continued publishing scholarly work since that time.
The following volumes of McGinn's history of Christian mysticism, The Presence of God. series have been so far been published (of a projected 7):
- McGinn, Bernard (1991). The Foundations of Mysticism. New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-1121-2. OCLC 25839970. (494 pages)
- McGinn, Bernard (1994). The Growth of Mysticism. New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-1450-5. OCLC 247412043. (630 pages)
- McGinn, Bernard (1998). The Flowering of Mysticism: Men and Women in the New Mysticism (1200-1350). New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-1742-3. OCLC 38199636. ISBN 0-8245-1743-1 (paperback) (526 pages)
- McGinn, Bernard (2005). The Harvest of Mysticism in Medieval Germany (1300-1500). New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-2345-8. OCLC 162272507. (738 pages)
- McGinn, Bernard (2013). The Varieties of Vernacular Mysticism (1350-1550). New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-9901-2. OCLC 785874270. (864 pages)
- McGinn, Bernard (2017). Mysticism in the Reformation (1500-1650). New York: Crossroad. ISBN 9780824522308. OCLC 960089660. (350 pages; Part 1 of Volume 6 of Presence of God series)
- McGinn, Bernard (2017). Mysticism in the Golden Age of Spain (1500-1650). New York: Crossroad. ISBN 9780824500900. (500 pages; Part 2 of Volume 6 of Presence of God series)
Other books by McGinn include:
- McGinn, Bernard (2014). Thomas Aquinas's Summa Theologiae: A Biography. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. ISBN 0691154260. OCLC 861542567. (260 pages)
- McGinn's faculty page at Divinity School, University of Chicago (accessed 25 June 2010)
- McGinn's year of birth is listed as 1937 on the information page (p. vi) of his book, Meister Eckhart and the Beguine Mystics (2001), (accessed 25 June 2010).
- Bernard McGinn profile at John Templeton Foundation (accessed 25 June 2010).
- Two are Harvest, plus Essential Writings of Christian Mysticism - see Google search for his books published 2004-date (accessed 25 June 2010).