Bernard M. E. Moret (born 1953) is a Swiss-American computer scientist, an emeritus professor of Computer Science at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne in Switzerland. He is known for his work in computational phylogenetics, and in particular for mathematics and methods for computing phylogenetic trees using genome rearrangement events.
Moret was born in 1953 in Vevey Switzerland, and did his undergraduate studies at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, graduating in 1975. He went on to graduate studies at the University of Tennessee, earning a Ph.D. in 1980. He then joined the faculty of the University of New Mexico, where he remained until 2006, when he moved to EPFL. He retired from EPFL in December 2016.
In 1996, Moret founded the ACM Journal of Experimental Algorithmics, and he remained editor in chief of the journal until 2003. In 2001, Moret founded the Workshop in Algorithms for Bioinformatics (WABI) and remains on the Steering Committee for the conference.
Moret is the author of The Theory of Computation (Addison-Wesley, 1998). With H. D. Shapiro, he is the co-author of Algorithms from P to NP, Volume I: Design and Efficiency (Benjamin Cummings, 1991).
He has also written many highly cited research papers in bioinformatics, including papers on calculating the minimum genetic rearrangement distance between a pair of related genomes and on evolutionary tree reconstruction.
- Curriculum vitae as of 2016, retrieved 2019-10-24.
- Bernard Moret appointed Full Professor, EPFL, 14 December 2005, retrieved 2012-02-25.
- Snodgrass, Richard T. (August 2011), "On experimental algorithmics", Ubiquity, 2011: 1–14, doi:10.1145/2015996.2015997.
- "ISCB Fellows". www.iscb.org. Archived from the original on 2017-03-20. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- Bader, David A.; Moret, Bernard M.E.; Yan, Mi (2001), "A Linear-Time Algorithm for Computing Inversion Distance between Signed Permutations with an Experimental Study", Journal of Computational Biology, 8 (5): 483–491, CiteSeerX 10.1.1.77.6193, doi:10.1089/106652701753216503, PMID 11694179.
- Moret, Bernard M. E.; Wyman, Stacia; Bader, David A.; Warnow, Tandy; Yan, Mi (2001), "A new implementation and detailed study of breakpoint analysis", Pac Symp Biocomput., pp. 583–594, PMID 11262975.
- Moret, B. M. E.; Nakhleh, L.; Warnow, T.; Linder, C. R.; Tholse, A.; Padolina, A.; Sun, J.; Timme, R. (2004), "Phylogenetic networks: modeling, reconstructibility, and accuracy", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 1 (1): 13–23, CiteSeerX 10.1.1.108.7671, doi:10.1109/TCBB.2004.10, PMID 17048405.