|Born||1943 (age 77–78)|
|Education||B.A. in philosophy|
City College of New York
Ph.D. in philosophy (1972)
|Institutions||Professor of Philosophy|
Professor of Animal Sciences
Professor of Biomedical Sciences
Colorado State University
|Animal ethics, philosophy of mind|
Rollin specializes in animal rights and the philosophy of consciousness, and is the author of a number of influential books in the field. His first books, which were among the first ones about animal ethics at the time, included Animal Rights and Human Morality (1981), published two years before Tom Regan's The Case for Animal Rights, and The Unheeded Cry: Animal Consciousness, Animal Pain and Scientific Change (1988). He also published Farm Animal Welfare (1995), and Science and Ethics (2006). He is also co-editor of the two-volume, The Experimental Animal in Biomedical Research (1989 and 1995). He published his memoir in 2011, Putting the Horse Before Descartes.
He was prominently featured in the film about speciesism, The Superior Human?, in which he analyzes the ideology of René Descartes to help show that animals can think and feel. He helped draft the 1985 amendments to the Animal Welfare Act.
Rollin is a member of the Scientific Expert Advisory Council (SEAC), for Australian animal welfare group Voiceless, the animal protection institute. SEAC is a group of academics from around the world who assist Voiceless in the production of quality research and publications which expose legalized animal cruelty and inform public debate. He is also a board member of Farm Forward, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that implements innovative strategies to promote conscientious food choices, reduce farmed animal suffering, and advance sustainable agriculture.
- Natural and conventional meaning: An examination of the distinction. Mouton. 1976. ISBN 90-279-3274-3.
- Animal Rights & Human Morality. Prometheus Books. 1981. ISBN 1-59102-421-8.
- The Teaching of Responsibility. Universities Federation for Animal Welfare (UFAW). 1983. ISBN 0-900767-33-2.
- with M. Lynne Kesel (eds.). The Experimental Animal in Biomedical Research: A Survey of Scientific and Ethical Issues for Investigators, Volume I. CRC Press (1989). ISBN 0-8493-4981-8
- Farm Animal Welfare: School, Bioethical, and Research Issues. Iowa State Press. 1995. ISBN 0-8138-2563-6.
- The Frankenstein Syndrome: Ethical and Social Issues in the Genetic Engineering of Animals. Cambridge University Press. 1995. ISBN 0-521-47807-3.
- The Unheeded Cry (1 ed.). Wiley. 1999. ISBN 0-8138-2575-X.
- with David W. Ramey. Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine Considered. Wiley-Blackwell (2003). ISBN 0-8138-2616-0.
- with G. John Benson. The Well-Being of Farm Animals: Challenges and Solutions. Wiley-Blackwell (2003). ISBN 0-8138-0473-6
- Science and Ethics. Cambridge University Press. 2006. ISBN 0-521-67418-2.
- An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics: Theory And Cases, Second Edition (2 ed.). Wiley-Blackwell. 2006. ISBN 0-8138-0399-3.
- Putting the Horse before Descartes: My Life's Work on Behalf of Animals . Temple University Press (2011). ISBN 978-1592138258
- B.E. Rollin, Department of Philosophy, Colorado State University.
- "The Superior Human?", official website.
- McAnallen, Samuel. "The Superior Human?". Youtube (video). Retrieved 14 July 2021.
- McIlwraith, C. Wayne; Rollin, Bernard E. (2011-02-02). Equine Welfare. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781444397819.
- "Voiceless, the animal protection institute".
- "Farm Forward Mission". farmforward.com. Archived from the original on 2016-05-29. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Bernard Rollin|