|Born||24 June 1970|
|Died||10 May 2012 (aged 41)|
Guincho Cascais, Portugal
|Occupation(s)||Musician, film composer, music educator|
Sassetti was born in Lisbon. He was a great-grandson of Sidónio Pais, President of the First Republic. He initially played guitar, then began studying piano and music theory at age nine. He became interested in jazz after hearing Bill Evans. By the late 1980s, he was backing visiting musicians and teaching jazz piano in Lisbon (and, later, taught throughout other lusophonic areas). During the 1990s, he worked in London, where he recorded three albums with Guy Barker's group. Anthony Minghella invited them to appear as the Napoli Jazz Sextet in The Talented Mr. Ripley.
His 2006 album Unreal: Sidewalk Cartoon received a four-star rating (of a possible four) in The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.), and was selected for The Penguin Jazz Guide: The History of the Music in the 1000 Best Albums.
In addition to his jazz work, Sassetti has composed numerous film scores.
Bernardo Sassetti was married to actress Beatriz Batarda, with whom he had two daughters.
- Mundos (Universal Music Portugal, 1996)
- Olhar with Carlos Barretto, Mario Barreiros, Perico Sambeat (Beat Up, 1999)
- Specifics 45: Cuba Cuba with Guy Barker (Music House, 2000)
- Salsetti (West Wind, 2000)
- Nocturno (Clean Feed, 2002)
- Mario Laginha Bernardo Sassetti (ONC Producoes Culturais, 2003)
- Indigo (Clean Feed, 2004)
- Alice (Trem Azul, 2005)
- Unreal: Sidewalk Cartoon (Clean Feed, 2006)
- 3 Pianos with Mario Laginha, Pedro Burmester (Sony, 2007)
- Duvida (Trem Azul, 2007)
- Second Life (Original Soundtrack) (Utopia Musica, 2009)
- Palace Ghosts and Drunken Hymns with Will Holshouser (Clean Feed, 2009)
- Um Amor De Perdicao (Trem Azul, 2009)
- Carlos Do Carmo Bernardo Sassetti (Universal Music Portugal, 2010)
- Second Life (2009) composer
- Os Grandes Portugueses (2007) (TV) .... Himself
- Antes de Amanhã (2007) composer
- 98 Octanas (2006) composer
- Alice (2005) composer
- A Costa dos Murmúrios (2004) composer
- O Milagre segundo Salomé (2004) composer
- Maria E as Outras (2004) composer
- Quaresma (2003) composer
- Aniversário (2000) (TV) composer
- Facas e Anjos (2000) (TV) composer
- O Segredo (2000) composer
- As Terças da Bailarina Gorda (2000) composer
- Maria do Mar (1930) (2000) composer
- The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) – pianist (Napoli Jazz Sextet)
- Mundo VIP (2 episodes, Show nº 12 and Show nº 197, 1996-2000) – Himself
- Morton, Brian; Richard Cook (2010). The Penguin Jazz Guide: The History of the Music in the 1000 Best Albums. London: Penguin. pp. 698–699. ISBN 978-0-14-104831-4. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Morreu Bernardo Sassetti. Lisbon: Público (Portugal). 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-05-13. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Morreu o compositor e pianista Bernardo Sassetti. Lisbon: Diário de Notícias. 2012. Archived from the original on 2014-10-23.
- Morreu Bernardo Sassetti. Lisbon: Expresso (Portuguese newspaper). 2012.
- Priestley, Brian; Ian Carr; Digby Fairweather (2004). The Rough Guide to Jazz. London: Rough Guides. p. 698. Retrieved 2011-11-12. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.). New York: Penguin. pp. 1263–1264. ISBN 978-0-14-103401-0. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Unreal: Sidewalk Cartoon". Clean Feed. Archived from the original on 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2011-11-12. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Music: Composer Bernardo Sassetti dead at age 41 – Portugal -Portuguese American Journal
- En Homenaje a Bernardo Sassetti - Cuadernos de Jazz. Alejandro Cifuentes