Eichinger in 2008
11 April 1949|
Neuburg an der Donau, Bavaria, Germany
|Died||24 January 2011
Los Angeles, United States
|Spouse(s)||Katja Hofmann (2006–2011)|
|Partner(s)||Katja Flint (1990s)
Corinna Harfouch (1999–2004)
Bernd Eichinger (11 April 1949 – 24 January 2011) was a German film producer, director and screenwriter.
Life and career
Eichinger was born in Neuburg an der Donau. He attended the University of Television and Film Munich in the 1970s, and bought a stake in the fledgling studio company Neue Constantin Film in 1979, becoming its executive director. Under his leadership, Constantin Film evolved into one of the most successful German film businesses. As of 2005, he was chairman of the supervisory board and still owned a substantial stake in the company. Eichinger also produced some movies independently (for example Downfall). One of Eichinger's last films was about the left-wing terrorist group Red Army Faction (RAF) based on the book Der Baader Meinhof Komplex ("The Baader-Meinhof Complex") by Stefan Aust.
- 1975, 1977, 1978, 1980 German Film Awards
- 1979 Oscar-Nomination, Best Foreign Language Film (as Producer)
- 1984 Bavarian Film Awards, Best Producing
- 1986 Bavarian Film Awards, Best Producing
- 1987 César Award, Best Foreign Language Film (as Producer)
- 1990 German Film Awards
- 1993 Bavarian Film Awards, Best Producing
- 1995 German Film Awards
- 2003 Bundesverdienstkreuz (Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany)
- 2002, 2003 German Film Awards
- 2004 Oscar, Best Foreign Language Film (as Co-Producer)
- 2004 Bavarian Film Awards, Best Producing
- 2005 Oscar-Nomination, Best Foreign Language Film (as Producer)
- 2007 German Film Awards
- 2008 Bavarian Film Awards
- 2009 Oscar-Nomination, Best Foreign Language Film (as Producer)
- 2009 Golden Globe-Nomination, Best Foreign Language Film (as Producer)
- 2009 BAFTA-Nomination, Best Foreign Language Film (as Producer)
- 2010 German Film Awards, Ehrenpreis (Honorary Award)
- 2011 Goldene Kamera, Sonderpreis (Special Award; posthumous)
Bernd Eichinger's best known films include:
- "German filmmaker Bernd Eichinger dies at 61". Reuters. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- (German) "Der Eichinger-Komplex" in Jungle World, 2006-02-22. ISSN 1613-0766.
- "Produzent Bernd Eichinger gestorben". Spiegel Online. 25 January 2011.
- "PreistraegerdesBayerischenFilmpreises-Pierrot" (PDF).