Riexinger in 2018
|Chairperson of The Left|
|Assumed office |
2 June 2012
Serving with Katja Kipping
|Born||30 October 1955|
Leonberg, West Germany
|Political party||The Left|
A banker by profession, Riexinger was on the works council of Leonberger Bausparkasse from 1980 to 1990. In 1991 he became a trade union official. Riexinger is a member of the Initiative for networking between trade union leftists and is active in the Social Forum movement in Germany.
In 2003, Riexinger was among the initiators of mass protests against the Agenda 2010 of the federal government at that time.
On 30 May 2012, Riexinger announced that he would run for the position of chairman of The Left, and on 2 June 2012 he was elected alongside Katja Kipping, winning 53.5% of the delegates' votes. He was elected ahead of second-placed candidate Dietmar Bartsch. Up until this point, Riexinger had been executive director of the Stuttgart division of the trade union ver.di, as well as a member of the executive board of the Left Party in Baden-Württemberg. He had also been a member of the interim executive board of the Left Party in Baden-Württemberg, and previously of the executive board of the party Labour and Social Justice – The Electoral Alternative (which became part of The Left in 2007) in Baden-Württemberg. On 10 May 2014, he was overwhelmingly reelected along with Katja Kipping as chairman of The Left with 89% of the votes by a national party conference.
In June 2015, he was nominated as a top candidate for The Left in the 2016 Baden-Württemberg legislative election. This nomination was confirmed at the 2015 Regional Congress. The Left failed to get any seats in the state parliament, after receiving only 2.8% of the vote.
- (in German) Personal website
- (in German) Interview with Bernd Riexinger Spiegel Online 22 June 2012
- (in English) A conversation with Riexinger on socialist strategy Jacobin (magazine) May 2014
- (in German) Interview with Bernd Riexinger with regard to election 2017 July 25, 2017
- "Socialist Left party finally elects leadership - The Local". Thelocal.de. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Bernd Riexinger: Auswege aus der politischen Krise der Gewerkschaften (in German), in: UTOPIE kreativ, H. 111 (January 2000), p. 52-56
- "karenmillensale26 Wagenknecht can initially double Karen Millen Dress top priority". Karenmillensale26.blog.fc2.com. 2012-05-31. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- (in German)Riexinger wird Spitzenkandidat im Südwesten neues deutschland vom 19. Juni 2015
- (in German)"DIE LINKE in Baden-Württemberg ist mit sechs Abgeordneten im Bundestag". Beobachter News. September 26, 2017.
|This article about a German politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|