This biographical article is written like a résumé. (July 2017)
|Born||February 20, 1968|
|Known for||Support Vector Machines|
|Institutions||Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems|
He is a leading researcher in the machine learning community, where he is particularly active in the field of kernel methods. He has made particular contributions to support vector machines and kernel PCA. A large part of his work is the development of novel machine learning algorithms through their formulation as (typically convex) optimisation problems.
He is also chairman of the European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems (ELLIS).
- 1997 – 1999: Researcher at GMD (German National Research Center for Computer Science), Berlin
- 1999 – 2000: Researcher at Microsoft Research Ltd., Cambridge
- 2000 – 2001: Group leader at the biotech startup Biowulf Technologies, New York
- 2001 – 2010: Director at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics (Managing Director 1.8.2006– 31.7.2009)
- since 2011: Director at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems (Managing Director 1.5.2011 - 31.1.2013)
- 1988 – 1994: Studies of Physics, Mathematics and Philosophy in Tübingen and London
- 1992: M. Sc. in Mathematics, University of London
- 1994: Diplom in Physics, University of Tübingen (Germany)
- 1997: PhD in Computer Science (TU Berlin)
Recent awards and memberships (selection)
- Inclusion in the list of ISI Highly Cited Researchers
- Honorarprofessor, Department of Mathematics and Physics, Tübingen University
- Professory extraordinary, Department of Mathematical Science, Stellenbosch University, 2010 – 2012
- Posner keynote lecturer at the Neural Information Processing Systems conference
- Annual Max Planck Research Award
- Annual Brain Computer Interfacing Research Award (with Moritz Grosse-Wentrup)
- Annual Academy Prize , Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften
- Guest Professor, ETH Zürich, Department Informatik
- Elected member of the Academy of Sciences Leopoldina, the national academy of Germany
- ACM Recognizes 2017 Fellows for Making Transformative Contributions and Advancing Technology in the Digital Age, Association for Computing Machinery, December 11, 2017, retrieved 2017-11-13
- "Bernhard Schölkopf CV" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on May 28, 2016. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- Williams, Jonathan. "Board". European Lab for Learning & Intelligent Systems. Retrieved 2019-12-11.
- "Körber European Science Prize". Körber-Stiftung.
|P ≟ NP||This biographical article relating to a computer scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|