This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Mayor||Roger Vanderstraeten|
|• Governing party/ies||PS|
|• Total||43.42 km2 (16.76 sq mi)|
(1 January 2017)
|• Density||270/km2 (710/sq mi)|
Bernissart is a Walloon municipality located in the Belgian province of Hainaut. On January 1, 2006, Bernissart had a total population of 11,458. The total area is 43.42 km², which gives a population density of 264 inhabitants per km². The municipality includes the village of Blaton, formerly an independent municipality.
The Iguanodon mine
In 1878, dozens of Iguanodon skeletons were discovered in a coal mine, at a depth of 322 m (1,056 ft). At the time, their proximity was considered proof that some dinosaurs were herd animals. They were mounted by Louis Dollo and set the standard that was followed for over a century. Nine of the twenty-nine skeletons are currently on display at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences, and one at the Bernissart Museum. The two museums even made an error they acknowledge with humour: they displayed the skeletons "standing", suggesting that the dinosaurs were bipedal, which is not the case. Found alongside the Iguanodon skeletons were the remains of plants, fish, and other reptiles, including the crocodyliform Bernissartia.
One of the Bernissart Iguanodons on display at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences.
- Population per municipality as of 1 January 2017 (XLS; 397 KB)
- Norman, David B. (1985). "To Study a Dinosaur". The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs: An Original and Compelling Insight into Life in the Dinosaur Kingdom. New York: Crescent Books. pp. 24–33. ISBN 0-517-46890-5.
- Palmer, D. ed. (1999). The Marshall Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals. London: Marshall Editions. p. 100. ISBN 1-84028-152-9.
- Media related to Bernissart at Wikimedia Commons
- "17. The Bernissart Iguanodons, 1884". Linda Hall Library. Paper Dinosaurs, 1824–1969.
- (in French) Official web site of Bernissart
|This Hainaut province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|