Berowra Heights, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
|Population||5,264 (2016 census)|
|Location||39 km (24 mi) north-west of Sydney CBD|
Berowra Heights is a suburb of northern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 39 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Hornsby Shire. Berowra Heights is north-west of the suburb of Berowra and east of Berowra Waters.
Berowra is an Aboriginal word that means place of many shells.
Berowra Heights Post Office opened on 2 September 1968.
According to the 2016 Census of Population, there are 5,264 residents of Berowra Heights. 78.1% of these residents were born in Australia, while the most common other countries of birth are England (7%), New Zealand (1.6%), China (0.8%), The Philippines (0.6%) and South Africa (0.6%). 89.6% of residents only speak English at home, while other languages spoken at home include Mandarin (0.9%), Spanish (0.5%), German (0.5%), Dutch (0.5%) and Russian (0.4)%. The most common religious affiliations are No Religion (34.7%), Catholic (22.8%) and Anglican (20%).
Business is conducted in two shopping centres; the Village Green and Berowra Marketplace (Foodtown). Businesses include a Bendigo Bank Community Bank, Coles supermarket, two pharmacies, a comprehensive medical centre and a range of restaurants.
Access to Berowra Heights is by road from Berowra, to the east, via Berowra Waters Road. Alternatively, the Berowra Waters Ferry, a car ferry, connects Berowra Waters with the western end of Berowra Waters Road. The Shorelink route 599 provides a bus service from Berowra Heights to Berowra railway station and route 597 from Berowra to Hornsby railway station.
There are two primary schools in Berowra Heights and two in Berowra:
- St Bernard's Catholic Primary School (Berowra Heights).
- Wideview Public School (Berowra Heights).
- Berowra Public School (Berowra).
- Berowra Christian School (Berowra).
Together, Berowra and Berowra Heights have four churches:
- St Mark's Anglican Church (Berowra).
- Berowra Baptist Church (Berowra).
- St Bernard's Catholic Church (Berowra Heights).
- Berowra Uniting Church (Berowra Heights).
Bush fires present a very real threat for the Berowra area due to the proximity of bushland. Fire protection for urbanised parts of Berowra Heights is provided by Station 75 (Berowra) of Fire and Rescue NSW and supported by Community Fire Units. Fire protection for bushland parts of Berowra Heights is provided by the NSW New South Wales Rural Fire Service, through the Berowra Rural Fire Brigade, currently located in High Street in Berowra.
- Rural Fire Service - NSW Rural Fire Service
- Berowra Waters
- Dangar Island
- Hawkesbury River Railway Bridge
- Hawkesbury River
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollen, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8
- Berowra Community Home Page and Directory
- The Bush Telegraph: Local newsletter for Berowra and surrounding areas
- Niall Clugston (2008). "Berowra Heights". Dictionary of Sydney. Retrieved 25 September 2015. [CC-By-SA]