Berowra Heights, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
|Population||5,264 (2016 census)>|
|Location||39 km (24 mi) north-west of Sydney CBD|
Berowra Heights is a suburb of northern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 39 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Hornsby Shire. Berowra Heights is north-west of the suburb of Berowra and east of Berowra Waters.
Berowra is an Aboriginal word that means place of many shells.
Berowra Heights Post Office opened on 2 September 1968.
According to the 2011 census of Population, there were 5,104 residents in Berowra Heights. 79.1% of people were born in Australia. The most common other countries of birth were England 7.2%, New Zealand 1.6% and South Africa 1.0%. 91.4% of people only spoke English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Dutch 0.6%, Mandarin 0.5% and German 0.4%. The most common responses for religious affiliation were Anglican 26.5%, No Religion 24.8% and Catholic 23.8%.
Business is conducted in two shopping centres; the Village Green and Berowra Marketplace (Foodtown). Businesses include a Bendigo Bank Community Bank, Coles supermarket, two pharmacies, a comprehensive medical centre and a range of restaurants.
Access to Berowra Heights is by road from Berowra, to the east, via Berowra Waters Road. Alternatively, the Berowra Waters Ferry, a car ferry, connects Berowra Waters with the western end of Berowra Waters Road. The Shorelink route 599 provides a bus service from Berowra Heights to Berowra railway station and route 597 from Berowra to Hornsby railway station.
There are four primary schools in Berowra Heights:
- St Bernard's Catholic Primary School
- Wideview Public School
- Berowra Public School (Hillcrest)
- Berowra Christian School
Bush fires present a very real threat for the Berowra area due to the proximity of bushland. Fire protection for urbanised parts of Berowra Heights is provided by Station 75 (Berowra) of Fire and Rescue NSW and supported by Community Fire Units. Fire protection for bushland parts of Berowra Heights is provided by the NSW New South Wales Rural Fire Service, through the Berowra Rural Fire Brigade, currently located in High Street in Berowra.
- Rural Fire Service - NSW Rural Fire Service
- Berowra Waters
- Dangar Island
- Hawkesbury River Railway Bridge
- Hawkesbury River
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Berowra Heights (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Berowra Heights (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollen, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8
- Berowra Community Home Page and Directory
- The Bush Telegraph: Local newsletter for Berowra and surrounding areas
- Niall Clugston (2008). "Berowra Heights". Dictionary of Sydney. Retrieved 25 September 2015. [CC-By-SA]