Berenson's name is located on Panel N-76 of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum's North Pool.
April 14, 1948
Murray Hill, Manhattan, New York
|Died||September 11, 2001
World Trade Center, New York City, New York, U.S.
|Cause of death||Airplane hijacking and crash (American Airlines Flight 11)|
|Occupation||Actress, model, photographer|
|Years active||1960s–2001 (her death)|
(1973–1992; his death)
Berinthia "Berry" Berenson-Perkins (April 14, 1948 – September 11, 2001) was an American photographer, actress, and model. Perkins, who was the widow of actor Anthony Perkins (known for Psycho (1960), died in the September 11 attacks as a passenger on American Airlines Flight 11.
Berenson was born in Murray Hill, Manhattan. Her father, Robert Lawrence Berenson, was an American career diplomat turned shipping executive; he was of Lithuanian Jewish descent, and his family's original surname was Valvrojenski. Her mother was born Maria-Luisa Yvonne Radha de Wendt de Kerlor, better known as Gogo Schiaparelli, a socialite of Italian, Swiss, French, and Egyptian ancestry.
Her maternal grandmother was the Italian-born fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli, and her maternal grandfather was Wilhelm de Wendt de Kerlor, a Theosophist and psychic medium. Her elder sister, Marisa Berenson, became a well-known model and actress. She also was a great-grandniece of Giovanni Schiaparelli, an Italian astronomer who believed he had discovered the supposed canals of Mars, and a second cousin, once removed, of art expert Bernard Berenson (1865–1959) and his sister Senda Berenson (1868–1954), an athlete and educator who was one of the first two women elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame.
She also appeared in several motion pictures, including Cat People with Malcolm McDowell. She starred opposite Anthony Perkins in the 1978 Alan Rudolph film Remember My Name and opposite Jeff Bridges in the 1979 film Winter Kills.
Personal life and death
On August 9, 1973, in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Berenson married her future Remember My Name costar Anthony Perkins. The couple had two sons: actor-musician Oz Perkins (born February 2, 1974) and folk/rock recording artist Elvis Perkins (born February 9, 1976). They remained married until Perkins' death from AIDS-related complications on September 12, 1992.
Berenson died at age 53 in the September 11 attacks aboard American Airlines Flight 11, one day before the ninth anniversary of Perkins' death. She was returning to her California home following a holiday on Cape Cod.
- Bernard Berenson. Sketch for a Self-Portrait. New York. Pantheon. 1949
- "Robert L. Berenson, Ex-Envoy and Head of Shipping Line, Dies". The New York Times. February 3, 1965, page 35
- "Marisa $chiaparelli Is Married in Gown Designed. by Her Mother, the Cougurlere". The New York Times.
- Elsa Schiaparelli. Shocking Life. New York. Dutton, 1954
- Linda Greenhouse, "Schiaparelli Dies in Paris; Brought Color to Fashion", The New York Times, 15 November 1973
- Thurman, Judith (October 27, 2003). "Mother of Invention". The New Yorker.
- "Bibliotheca Philosophica Hermetica entry". Ritmanlibrary.nl. 2006-02-27. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- "Encyclopædia Britannica Online entry". Britannica.com. 1954-02-16. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- Judy Klemesrud, "And Now, Make Room for the Berenson Sisters", The New York Times, 19 April 1973, page 54
- Maynard, Joyce (January 12, 1977). "Tony Perkins and Family: A Study in Informal Togetherness". The New York Times. Westchester Weekly Section. p. 58
- Goodman, Mark (September 28, 1992). "One Final Mystery: Surrounded by Family, Friends and a Wall of Silence, Tony Perkins Succumbs to AIDS". People. Vol. 38 No. 13.
- Weinraub, Bernard (September 16, 1992). "Anthony Perkins's Wife Tells of 2 Years of Secrecy". The New York Times.
- Ferrell, David (September 13, 1992). "Anthony Perkins, 60, Dies; Star of 'Psycho' Had AIDS". Los Angeles Times.
- Hopkinson, Amanda (September 14, 2001). "Berry Berenson". The Guardian.
- "Berry Berenson Perkins". Memorial Guide: National 9/11 Memorial. Retrieved October 28, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Berry Berenson.|