Berry van Aerle
Van Aerle in 1987
|Full name||Hubertus Aegidius Hermanus van Aerle|
|Date of birth||8 December 1962|
|Place of birth||Helmond, Netherlands|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|1986–1987||→ Antwerp (loan)||22||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Born in Helmond, North Brabant, van Aerle spent 13 years with Eredivisie giants PSV Eindhoven, helping them to five leagues. During most of his spell, he also played as a defensive midfielder as the right-back slot was occupied by veteran Belgian Eric Gerets. Incidentally, the Dutch spent one year in that country, on loan to Royal Antwerp FC.
Van Aerle played the entire final of the 1987–88 European Cup, won on penalties against S.L. Benfica, after a 0–0. "It wasn't a particularly good match, with both teams very cautious, but it was exciting until the end and a tense penalty shoot-out. It does not matter how you win it, just as long as you do. Now we're in the history books forever: we lifted that trophy", van Aerle told Berend Scholten on UEFA.com. After Gerets retired in 1992, he began dealing with several injuries, but still managed to appear regularly, collecting more than 300 overall appearances until his departure.
Eventually, van Aerle retired from play after one sole season with hometown's Helmond Sport. After working as a mailman in his hometown, he returned to PSV, where he served in several capacities (talent scout, supporters coordinator).
Van Aerle gained his first cap for the Netherlands on 14 October 1987. In the following year's UEFA European Championship, he was an undisputed starter as the national side lifted its first continental trophy, in West Germany (all matches and minutes).
In total, van Aerle appeared in 35 games in exactly five years, also being selected for the 1990 FIFA World Cup and Euro 1992. During those years, he formed an efficient fullback partnership with Adri van Tiggelen, also his club mate from 1991 to 1994.
- European Cup: 1987–88
- Eredivisie: 1985–86, 1987–88, 1988–89, 1990–91, 1991–92
- KNVB Cup: 1987–88, 1988–89, 1989–90
- Johan Cruijff Shield: 1992; Runner-up 1991
- Van Aerle relives PSV glory night against Benfica; UEFA.com, 4 April 2011
- James M. Ross (17 January 2008). "Champions' Cup 1987–88". RSSSF. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Biography at VOETBLAH (Dutch)
- Berry van Aerle toegevoegd aan scoutingstaf PSV (Berry van Aerle to join PSV's scouting staff); Voetbal Centraal (Dutch)
- "Van Basten ends Dutch wait". UEFA.com. 5 October 2003. Retrieved 26 November 2015.