Berschweiler bei Baumholder
|Berschweiler bei Baumholder|
|• Mayor||Peter Becker|
|• Total||6.64 km2 (2.56 sq mi)|
|Elevation||435 m (1,427 ft)|
|• Density||74/km2 (190/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Berschweiler bei Baumholder is an Ortsgemeinde – a municipality belonging to a Verbandsgemeinde, a kind of collective municipality – in the Birkenfeld district in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It belongs to the Verbandsgemeinde of Baumholder, whose seat is in the like-named town. Berschweiler bei Baumholder is one of two municipalities in the district with the name Berschweiler. The two are distinguished from each other by their geographical “tags”; the other one is called Berschweiler bei Kirn.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Politics
- 3 Culture and sightseeing
- 4 Economy and infrastructure
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Also belonging to Berschweiler are the outlying homesteads of Im Hahn, Hof Am Forst and Zollhaus.
Berschweiler’s mayor is Peter Becker.
Coat of arms
The municipality’s arms might be described thus: Per fess argent a demilion azure armed and langued gules, and azure on a wall issuant from base masoned sable a limetree eradicated, all of the first.
The blue lion is a reference to the village’s former allegiance to the County of Veldenz.
Culture and sightseeing
- Evangelical parish church, Hauptstraße 9 – aisleless church 1743, west tower 1863/1864; two bells, 14th century and 1499 by Master Jörg zu Spier
- Beside Am Kirchpfad 1 – cellar and storehouse, building with saddle roof with two parallel barrel vaults, possibly from as long ago as the 18th century
- Hauptstraße 34 – former rectory; many-winged Late Historicist solid building, 1901
- Hauptstraße 40 – former mayor’s residence; villalike historicized plastered building, 1905
- Hauptstraße 24, 30, 40, 44 (monumental zone) – Late Historicist villalike houses, early 20th century, bearing witness to the village centre’s former character
Besides the gymnastic and sport club (which has a team partnership with FC Westrich Mettweiler, as SG Unnertal) and the volunteer fire brigade, there is also a shooting club that can already boast of some successes at the national level. Many other clubs offer the opportunity to get involved with other inhabitants.
Economy and infrastructure
Owing to its location on the Autobahn feeder road to the A 62 (Kaiserslautern–Trier), the village has at its disposal very good transport links. Kaiserslautern, Trier and Saarbrücken too can all be reached within one hour.
Other public institutions
Likewise standing near the sport facilities is a village community centre, which also houses the local reserve fire brigade (which can be called to support other fire brigades in the area). Also, there are an Evangelical parish house and a savings bank branch.
Sport and leisure
The municipality has at its disposal two football pitches, a cinder lot on the Bornberg somewhat outside the village and a grass playing field in the outlying centre of Berggrube.
In the old village centre at the marketplace is found the Haus Albert, which offers both a restaurant and overnight accommodation.
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31. Dezember 2015" (PDF). Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 2016.
- Statistisches Landesamt Rheinland-Pfalz – Amtliches Verzeichnis der Gemeinden und Gemeindeteile, Seite 18 (PDF)
- Kommunalwahl Rheinland-Pfalz 2009, Gemeinderat
- Berschweiler’s mayor
- Directory of Cultural Monuments in Birkenfeld district