McCaffrey with the Toronto Granites.
April 12, 1893|
Lockton, Albion Township,
Peel County, Ontario, Canada
|Died||April 15, 1955
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||178 lb (81 kg; 12 st 10 lb)|
Toronto St. Pats
Toronto Maple Leafs
|Olympic medal record|
|Men's ice hockey|
|Competitor for Canada|
|1924 Chamonix||Team competition|
John Albert McCaffrey (April 12, 1893 – April 15, 1955) was a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman who played seven seasons in the National Hockey League for the Toronto St. Pats, Toronto Maple Leafs, Pittsburgh Pirates and Montreal Canadiens.
McCaffrey won a Stanley Cup in 1930 with the Montreal Canadiens. He played in 22 of 44 regular season for Montreal during the 1930–31 NHL season, and thereby qualified to win the Stanley Cup, however his name was never engraved on the trophy because McCaffrey had been sent to the minors to play with the Providence Reds, and did not play for Montreal in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Prior to joining the NHL, McCaffrey played eight seasons of senior hockey in the Ontario Hockey Association, including four with the Toronto Granites, winning two Allan Cups in 1922 and 1923. By virtue of playing for the reigning senior amateur champions, McCaffrey and the Granites represented Canada at the 1924 Winter Olympics in Chamonix, France. He scored 20 goals in five games as the Canadians dominated the tournament, winning the gold medal.
- Bull, William Perkins, ed. (1934). From rattlesnake hunt to hockey. Toronto: George J. McLeod, Ltd. p. 45.
- The Official Olympic Games Companion: The Complete Guide to the Olympic Winter Games 1998 Edition, London - Washington: Brassey’s Sports, 1998, p. 128, ISBN 1-85753-244-9
- Diamond, Dan; Duplacey, James; Dinger, Ralph; Kuperman, Igor; Zweig, Eric, eds. (1998). Total Hockey. New York: Total Sports. p. 759. ISBN 0-8362-7114-9.
- "Hockey Star Dies" April 18, 1955.
- Bert McCaffrey sports-reference.com
- Bert McCaffrey's biography at Legends of Hockey
- Bert McCaffrey's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian ice hockey defenceman is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Canadian Winter Olympic medalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|