Bertrand du Pouget
Bertrand was born in Castelnau-Montratier. He may have been a nephew of Pope John XXII. As cardinal he was closely involved in dealing with the practical consequences of the migration of the papacy to Avignon, and also in striving to uphold papal prestige in Italy, for example by artistic commissions in Bologna. He expelled Galeazzo I Visconti, imperial vicar for Emperor Henry VII, from Piacenza and in 1329 arranged for a public burning of Dante's De monarchia.
He was created cardinal priest of S. Marcello in 1316, and became bishop of Ostia in 1327. He participated in the conclave of 1334 that elected Pope Benedict XII and the conclave of 1342 that elected Pope Clement VI. He died at Villeneuve-lès-Avignon.
- The Name of the Rose - a historical novel by Umberto Eco in which Bertrand du Pouget is one of the characters.
- The death date of 3 February 1352 is given in: Chacón, Alfonso; Oldoino, Agostino (1677), Vitae et res gestae Pontificum romanorum et S.R.E. Cardinalium ab initio nascentis ecclesiae usque ad Clementem IX P.O.M. (Volume 2) (in Latin), Rome: Philippi et Ant. de Rubeis, col. 410; Eubel, Konrad (1913), Hierarchia catholica medii aevi (Volume 1) (in Latin), Regensberg: Monasterii, pp. 15, 36, 43. Other dates have also been proposed: 1351 in Cardella, Lorenzo (1793), Memorie storiche de' cardinali della Santa Romana Chiesa (in Italian), Rome: Stamperia Pagliarini, pp. 104–107; 3 February 1351 in Mas Latrie, Louis de (1889), Trésor de chronologie, d'histoire et de géographie pour l'étude et l'emploi des documents du moyen-âge, Paris: V. Palmé, col. 1154; "end of 1348" in Duchesne, François (1660), Histoire de tous les cardinaux françois de naissance (Volume 1) (in French), Paris: F. Duchesne, p. 421. For more details see Note 3 in: Miranda, Salvador, "Bertrand du Pouget", The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Florida International University Libraries, retrieved 16 December 2012.
- Baluzius, Stephanus; Mollat, G., eds. (1927), Vitae paparum avenionensium Volume 2 (in Latin and French), Paris: Letouzer et Ané, p. 221  n. 2, says that he was neither the son nor the nephew of Pope John XXII.
- Giotto and the arts in Bologna during the period of Bertrando del Poggetto, RAI Internazionale, retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Benigni, Umberto; Wemyss-Brown, C.F. (1913), "Piacenza", Catholic Encyclopedia Vol. 12, New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Sørensen, Gert (2001), "The reception of the political Aristotle in the Late Middle Ages", in Pade, Marianne, Renaissance Readings of the Corpus Aristotelicum: Proceedings of the Conference Held in Copenhagen April 1998, Copenhagen, Denmark: Museum Tusculanum Press, p. 21, ISBN 87-7289-585-3.
- Eubel, Konrad (1913), Hierarchia catholica medii aevi (Volume 1) (in Latin), Regensberg: Monasterii, pp. 36, 43
- Miranda, Salvador, "Bertrand du Pouget", The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Florida International University Libraries, retrieved 16 December 2012
|Catholic Church titles|
Regnaud de la Porte
|Cardinal-bishop of Ostia