Bertram Kostant at a workshop on “Enveloping Algebras and Geometric Representation Theory” in Oberwolfach, 2009
May 24, 1928|
Brooklyn, New York
February 2, 2017 (aged 88)|
University of Chicago (PhD)
Kostant partition function |
Kostant–Parthasarathy–Ranga Rao–Varadarajan determinants
|Awards||Wigner Medal (2016)|
Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
University of California, Berkeley
|Thesis||Representations of a Lie algebra and its enveloping algebra on a Hilbert space|
|Doctoral advisor||Irving Segal|
James Harris Simons
Early life and education
Kostant grew up in New York City, where he graduated from Stuyvesant High School in 1945. He went on to obtain an undergraduate degree in mathematics from Purdue University in 1950. He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1954, under the direction of Irving Segal, where he wrote a dissertation on representations of Lie groups.
Career in mathematics
After time at the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton University, and the University of California, Berkeley, he joined the faculty at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he remained until his retirement in 1993. Kostant's work has involved representation theory, Lie groups, Lie algebras, homogeneous spaces, differential geometry and mathematical physics, particularly symplectic geometry. He has given several lectures on the Lie group E8. He has been one of the principal developers of the theory of geometric quantization. His introduction of the theory of prequantization has led to the theory of quantum Toda lattices. The Kostant partition function is named after him. With Gerhard Hochschild and Alex F. T. W. Rosenberg, he is one of the namesakes of the Hochschild–Kostant–Rosenberg theorem which describes the Hochschild homology of some algebras.
Awards and honors
Kostant's many honors include election to the National Academy of Sciences in 1978. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society. He was an Invited Speaker of the ICM with talk Orbits and quantization theory in 1970 at Nice.
- "Holonomy and the Lie algebra of infinitesimal motions of a Riemannian manifold". Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 80: 528–542. 1955. doi:10.1090/S0002-9947-1955-0084825-8.
- "A formula for the multiplicity of a weight". Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 93: 53–73. 1959. doi:10.1090/S0002-9947-1959-0109192-6. PMC .
- "Lie algebra cohomology and the generalized Borel-Weil theorem". Annals of Mathematics. 74 (2): 329–387. 1961. doi:10.2307/1970237.
- "Lie group representations on polynomial rings". American Journal of Mathematics. 85 (3): 327–404. 1963. doi:10.2307/2373130.
- "On the existence and irreducibility of certain series of representations". Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society. 75 (4): 627–642. 1969. doi:10.1090/S0002-9904-1969-12235-4.
- "Quantization and unitary representations". In: Lectures in modern analysis and applications III. Lecture Notes in Mathematics 170. 1970. pp. 87–208. doi:10.1007/BFb0079068.
- with Louis Auslander: "Polarization and unitary representations of solvable Lie groups". Inventiones mathematicae. 14: 255–354. 1971. doi:10.1007/BF01389744.
- with Stephen Rallis: "Orbits and representations associated with symmetric spaces". American Journal of Mathematics. 93 (3): 753–809. 1971. doi:10.2307/2373470.
- "On convexity, the Weyl group and the Iwasawa decomposition". Annales Scientifiques de l'École Normale Supérieure. 6 (4): 413–455. 1973.
- "Graded manifolds, graded Lie theory, and prequantization". In: Differential Geometrical Methods in Mathematical Physics. Lecture Notes in Math 570. 1977. pp. 177–306. doi:10.1007/Bfb0087788.
- "On Whittaker vectors and representation theory". Inventiones mathematicae. 48 (2): 101–184. 1978. doi:10.1007/BF01390249.
- with David Kazhdan and Shlomo Sternberg: "Hamiltonian group actions and dynamical systems of Calogero type". Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics. 31 (4): 481–507. 1978. doi:10.1002/cpa.3160310405.
- "The solution to a generalized Toda lattice and representation theory". Advances in Mathematics. 34 (3): 195–338. 1979. doi:10.1016/0001-8708(79)90057-4.
- with Shrawan Kumar: "The nil Hecke ring and cohomology of GP for a Kac-Moody group G". Advances in Mathematics. 62 (3): 187–237. 1986. doi:10.1016/0001-8708(86)90101-5.
- with Shlomo Sternberg: "Symplectic reduction, BRS cohomology, and infinite-dimensional Clifford algebras", Annals of Physics, 176 (1): 49–113, 1987, doi:10.1016/0003-4916(87)90178-3
- "On Laguerre polynomials, Bessel functions, Hankel transform and a series in the unitary dual of the simply-connected covering group of ". Represent. Theory. 4: 181–224. 2000. doi:10.1090/S1088-4165-00-00096-0.
- with Gerhard Hochschild and Alex Rosenberg: "Differential forms on regular affine algebras". In: Collected Papers. New York: Springer. 2009. pp. 265–290. doi:10.1007/b94535_14. (Reprinted from Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., vol. 102, no. 3, March 1962, pp. 383–408)
- "The principal three-dimensional subgroup and the Betti numbers of a complex simple Lie group". In: Collected Papers. 2009. pp. 130–189. doi:10.1007/b94535_11. (Reprinted from the Amer. J. Math., vol. 81, no. 4, Oct. 1959)
- "Bertram Kostant, professor emeritus of mathematics, dies at 88". MIT News. 16 February 2017.
- "Professor Kostant's Homepage". MIT Math Department. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- Bertram Kostant (2008-02-12). "On Some Mathematics in Garrett Lisi's 'E8 Theory of Everything'". UC Riverside mathematics colloquium. Retrieved 2008-06-15.
- Porter, Tim (April 8, 2014), "Hochschild-Kostant-Rosenberg theorem", nLab.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-27.
- Kostant, Bertram. "Orbits and quantization theory." In Actes, Congrès intern. Math., Nice, vol. 2, pp. 395–400. 1970.