Bertrand Tavernier, 2010
25 April 1941 |
|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter, actor|
Bertrand Tavernier (born 25 April 1941) is a French director, screenwriter, actor and producer.
Life and career
Tavernier was born in Lyon, the son of Geneviève (née Dumond) and René Tavernier, a publicist and writer, several years president of the French PEN club. He says that his father's publishing of a wartime resistance journal and aid to anti-Nazi intellectuals shaped his moral outlook as an artist. According to Tavernier, his father believed that words were "as important and as lethal as bullets". Tavernier wanted to become a filmmaker since the age of 13 or 14 years. He claims that his cinematic influences include filmmakers John Ford, William Wellman, Jean Renoir, Jean Vigo and Jacques Becker. Tavernier was influenced by the 1968 general strike in France. He associated with the OCI between 1973 and 1975, and was particularly struck by the writing of Leon Trotsky. The first film director with whom he worked was Jean-Pierre Melville. Later, his first film (The Clockmaker, 1974) won the Prix Louis Delluc and the Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize award at the 24th Berlin International Film Festival.
His early work was dominated by mysteries, but his later work is characterized by a more overt social commentary, highlighting his left-wing views (Life and Nothing But, Capitaine Conan) and presenting a critical picture of contemporary French society (Ça commence aujourd'hui, Histoires de vies brisées : les double-peine de Lyon).
In 1995, his film L'Appât won the Golden Bear Award at the 45th Berlin International Film Festival. Four years later, his film It All Starts Today won an Honourable Mention at the 49th Berlin International Film Festival.
Tavernier was married to screenwriter Claudine (Colo) O'Hagen from 1965 to 1980. They have two children. Their son, Nils Tavernier (born 1 September 1965), works as both a director and actor. Their daughter, Tiffany Tavernier (born in 1967), is a novelist, screenwriter and assistant director.
- 1963 : Les Baisers (The Kisses), segment 2 "Baiser de Judas" ("Kiss of Judas")
- 1963 : Pays d'octobre (October Country/Country of October)
- 1974 : Que la fête commence (Let Joy Reign Supreme) with Philippe Noiret, Jean Rochefort
- 1974 : The Clockmaker (L'Horloger de Saint-Paul)
- 1976 : Le Juge et l'assassin (The Judge and the Assassin) with Philippe Noiret, Michel Galabru and Isabelle Huppert
- 1977 : Des enfants gâtés with Michel Piccoli, Michel Aumont
- 1980 : Une semaine de vacances with Nathalie Baye, Gérard Lanvin
- 1980 : La mort en direct (Death Watch)
- 1981 : Coup de Torchon with Philippe Noiret, Isabelle Huppert
- 1982 : Philippe Soupault
- 1982 : Philippe Soupault et le Surréalisme
- 1982 : Philippe Soupault, les images qu'ils aiment
- 1983 : Un dimanche à la campagne (A Sunday in the Country) with Sabine Azéma, Louis Ducreux
- 1983 : Mississippi Blues with Bertrand Tavernier and Robert Parrish
- 1985 : Round Midnight (Autour de minuit) with Dexter Gordon, Lonette McKee, François Cluzet
- 1987 : La Passion Béatrice with Bernard-Pierre Donnadieu, Julie Delpy
- 1988 : Lyon, le regard intérieur
- 1989 : Life and Nothing But (La Vie et rien d'autre)
- 1990 : Daddy Nostalgie with Dirk Bogarde, Jane Birkin
- 1991 : Contre l'oubli with Chantal Akerman, René Allio
- 1991 : L.627 with Didier Bezace, Jean-Roger Milo
- 1992 : La Guerre Sans Nom documentary on the Algerian War
- 1994 : La Fille de d'Artagnan (D'Artagnan's Daughter ) with Sophie Marceau, Philippe Noiret
- 1995 : L'Appât (The Bait) with Marie Gillain, Olivier Sitruk
- 1996 : Capitaine Conan with Philippe Torreton, Samuel Le Bihan
- 1998 : Ça commence aujourd'hui with Philippe Torreton, Maria Pitarresi
- 1998 : De l'autre côté du périph, directed by Bertrand and Nils Tavernier
- 2001 : Histoires de vies brisées : les double-peine de Lyon (Stories of Shattered Lives: The Double Sorrow of Lyon) with Bertrand Tavernier and Nils Tavernier
- 2001 : Laissez-passer with Jacques Gamblin, Denis Podalydès
- 2004 : Holy Lola with Jacques Gamblin, Isabelle Carré
- 2008 : In the Electric Mist with Tommy Lee Jones
- 2010 : The Princess of Montpensier with Mélanie Thierry
- 2013 : Quai d'Orsay
- Que la fête commence (1974), directed by Bertrand Tavernier, Philippe Noiret, Jean Rochefort
- Des enfants gâtés (1977), directed by Bertrand Tavernier, with Michel Piccoli, Michel Aumont
- Coup de torchon (1981), directed by Bertrand Tavernier, with Philippe Noiret, Isabelle Huppert
- Un dimanche à la campagne (1983), directed by Bertrand Tavernier, with Sabine Azéma, Louis Ducreux
- La Trace (The Trace) (1983) by Bernard Favre with Robin Renucci, Richard Berry
- Autour de minuit (Round Midnight) (1985) by Bertrand Tavernier with Lonette McKee, François Cluzet
- Daddy Nostalgie (1990) by Bertrand Tavernier with Dirk Bogarde, Jane Birkin
- L.627 (1991) by Bertrand Tavernier with Didier Bezace, Jean-Roger Milo
- L'Appât (1995) by Bertrand Tavernier with Marie Gillain, Olivier Sitruk
- Ca commence aujourd'hui (1998) by Bertrand Tavernier with Philippe Torreton, Maria Pitarresi
- Mon père, il m'a sauvé la vie (2000) by José Giovanni with Bruno Crémer, Vincent Lecoeur
- Laissez-passer (2001) de Bertrand Tavernier with Jacques Gamblin, Denis Podalydès Directeur
- La Question (The Question) (1976) by Laurent Heynemann with Jacques Denis, Christian Rist
- Une semaine de vacances (One Week of the Holidays) (1980) by Bertrand Tavernier with Nathalie Baye, Gérard Lanvin
- Un dimanche à la campagne (One Sunday in the Countryside) (1983) by Bertrand Tavernier with Sabine Azéma, Louis Ducreux
- François Truffaut: portraits volés (François Truffaut: Stolen Portraits ) (1992), directed by Michel Pascal, Serge Toubiana with Fanny Ardant, Nathalie Baye
- Claude Sautet ou la magie invisible (Claude Sautet or the Invisible Magic) (2002), directed by N.T. Binh with Bertrand Tavernier, Philippe Sarde
- Maslin, Janet (20 December 1982). "Clean Slate (1981) 'Coup De Torchon,' Life in a French Colony". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Filmreference.com". 10 April 2012.
- "Bertrand Tavernier speaks with the WSWS". World Socialist Web Site. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Berlinale 1974: Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- Awards for Bertrand Tavernier at the Internet Movie Database
- "Berlinale: 1995 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- "Berlinale: 1999 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- "Hollywood Reporter: Cannes Lineup". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 16 April 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bertrand Tavernier.|
- Bertrand Tavernier at the Internet Movie Database
- Senses of Cinema: Great Directors Critical Database
- Emily Zants (1999). "Bertrand Tavernier: Fractured Narrative and Bourgeois Values", The Scarecrow Press, Inc., Lanham, MD, and London. The Table of Contents and Introductory Chapter
- An interview with Bertrand Tavernier: "My job is to dream and invent, and out of this produce something that will change the world"
- Bertrand Tavernier speaks with the World Socialist Web Site
- An interview with Bertrand Tavernier on his film The Princess of Montpensier at subtitledonline.com
- Bertrand Tavernier in Conversation with Melinda Camber Porter PDF