Kechchimalai Mosque, Beruwala (one of the oldest mosques in Sri Lanka)
|• Type||Urban Council|
|• Chairman||Masahim Mohamed|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (Sri Lanka Time)|
Beruwala (Sinhala:බේරුවල Tamil: பேருவளை ) is a town in Kalutara District, Western Province, Sri Lanka, governed by an Urban Council. Beruwala with a total area of approximately 15 square kilometres and is located on the south-west coast of Sri Lanka, 60 km (37 mi) south of Colombo.
The name Beruwala is derived from the Sinhalese word for the place where the sail is lowered. It marks the spot for the first Muslim settlement on the island, established by the Somali Sheikh Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn, who converted the people into Islam. The town was originally named Berbereen in honour and respect of the Somali Shaikh.  The Chinese also traded here and Beruwala was known to them as Piehlo-li.
Beruwala has the first recorded Muslim settlement in Sri Lanka, with records establishing the settlement by Arab traders around the 8th century AD.
A large population of Sri Lankan Moors, many of them are gem merchants, still live in the town, particularly in the China Fort and Maradana areas.
- Beruwala has a large population of Sri Lankan Moors, many of them gem merchants, who still live in the town particularly in the China Fort and Maradana area.
- Kechchimalai Mosque (Masjid-ul-Abrar) situated in Maradana is a significant landmark of the town and one of Sri Lanka's oldest mosques. It was constructed by Arab traders on a rocky peninsula overlooking the town.
- Galapata Temple - a Buddhist temple built in the 12th Century.
Beruwala is served by the A2 highway, which runs past the town.
Beruwala is home to Al-Fasiyatul Nasriya Muslim Balika Navodaya School Maradana, which is the first and oldest Islamic girls school in Sri Lanka. It was damaged by the tsunami on Boxing Day 2004.
- Al Fasiyathul Nasriya Ladies (Navodaya) College
- Naleem Hajiar Ladies College (Navodaya)
- Al Humaisara National School (boys)
- ZAM Refai Hajiar Maha Vidhyala
- ILM Samsudeen Maha Vidhyala
- DS Senanayake National School
- Ariyawansha Maha Vidyala
- Al Fasiyathul Nasriya Boys School
- Harrow International School
- Wisdom International School
- Golden Gate International School
University and colleges
- Jamiah Naleemiah Islamic University (1973) Founder - Al Hajj Marhoom Naleem
- Iqra Technical College Founder - Al Hajj Marhoom Naleem
Twin towns – Sister cities
Beruwala is twinned with:
- Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (2007). Managing tourism & biodiversity: user's manual on the CBD guidelines on biodiversity and tourism development. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity. p. 63.
- Jaleel, Talib (8 July 2015). Notes On Entering Deen Completely: Islam as its followers know it. EDC Foundation. p. 1106.
- "Journal of the Sri Lanka Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society". 30-32. Sri Lanka Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society. 1985: 78.
- "Reading - Town Twinning". Reading Borough Council. Archived from the original on 2013-05-09. Retrieved 2013-07-14.