Berwick railway station (East Sussex)
|Location||Berwick Station, Wealden, East Sussex|
|Coordinates||50°50′24″N 0°09′58″E / 50.840°N 0.166°E|
|Classification||DfT category E|
|Original company||London and Brighton Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London, Brighton and South Coast Railway|
|27 June 1846||Station opened|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
Berwick railway station is located in Berwick, East Sussex, England. Berwick village is located nearby to the south of the A27 road.
The station is on the East Coastway Line, 57 miles 47 chains (92.7 km) from London Bridge, and train services are provided by Southern.
The station was opened by the London and Brighton Railway on 27 June 1846 and extended in 1890; the neighbouring station cottages were built in 1846 and 1892. An English Heritage report called Berwick 'in all one of the most complete wayside country station ensembles.'
The signal box was a Saxby & Farmer Type 5 box, erected in 1879 and retained its original lever frame and its semaphore signalling. Following an upgrade by Network Rail, the signal box closed in February 2015 with the area controlled from Sussex Regional Operations Centre at Three Bridges.
All services at Berwick are operated by Southern using Class 377 EMUs.
The typical off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 1 tph to Brighton via Lewes
- 1 tph to Eastbourne
Additional services between Brighton, Hastings and Ore, as well as services to and from London Victoria via Gatwick Airport call at the station during the peak hours.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
- ^ Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 33. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- ^ Minnis, John. "Railway Signal Boxes: A Review". Research Report Series 28-1012. English Heritage. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- ^ Bellett, Chris. "Section C". Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- ^ Table 190 National Rail timetable, May 2023
- Train times and station information for Berwick railway station (East Sussex) from National Rail
- Berwick railway station on Trainspots