|Berwick Bassett shown within Wiltshire|
|Population||43 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||SN4 9|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Berwick Bassett is a small village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 6 miles (10 km) northwest of Marlborough and 8 miles (13 km) southwest of Swindon. The village is on the west bank of a headstream of the River Kennet and close to the A4361 road, formerly the A361, which links Devizes and Avebury with Wroughton and Swindon.
The parish of Berwick Bassett is part of Calne Hundred and comprises about 1400 acres about 3 mi (5 km) north of Avebury. It has a slender rectangular shape, oriented east and west, and is crossed from north to south by the upper part of the River Kennet, which flows only in the winter months. The village of Berwick Basset lies to the west of the stream and has a small village green close to the bridge, around which are clustered the Manor, Home Farm and Berwick House Farm.
There are a number of ancient sites in the parish; these include flint tools, Romano-British pottery fragments, cropmarks, enclosures, a round barrow and a medieval farmstead. The ancient trackway known as the Ridgeway forms the eastern boundary of the parish. Berwick was not recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 and was probably part of the king's Calne estate. The Bassett suffix, from the lords of the manor in the 13th century, had been added by the early 14th century.
Berwick Bassett is in the area of Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which is responsible for all significant local government functions. It elects a joint parish council with the adjacent parish of Winterbourne Monkton.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Berwick Bassett". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Victoria County History - Wiltshire - Vol 17 pp9-17: Berwick Bassett". British History Online. University of London. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Historic England. "Manor Farmhouse, Berwick Bassett (1033872)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Historic England. "Manor House, Berwick Bassett (1033873)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Berwick Bassett and Winterbourne Monkton Joint Parish Council". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Berwick Bassett". A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 17: Calne. British History Online. 2002. pp. 9–17. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Church of St. Nicholas". Images of England. English Heritage. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "St Nicholas, Berwick Bassett". Churches Conservation Trust. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
Media related to Berwick Bassett at Wikimedia Commons
- "Berwick Bassett". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 17 September 2015.