Berwin Leighton Paisner
London, United Kingdom
|No. of offices||14 offices globally|
|No. of lawyers||850+|
|Major practice areas||Full service – Real estate, Finance, Litigation and Dispute Resolution (LDR), Tax and Corporate|
|Key people||Lisa Mayhew
|Date founded||2001 (merger)|
Berwin Leighton Paisner (BLP) is an international law firm with over 850 lawyers, including more than 200 partners based across 14 offices. The offices are in 10 countries around the world, predominantly providing services in real estate, finance, litigation and corporate risk, private wealth and tax. The firm has grown its team in Asia and the Middle East, including a new offering in Myanmar.
BLP's current Managing Partner is Lisa Mayhew who was elected in May 2015, and took over from Neville Eisenberg who had been in post for 16 years. Neville remains as Senior Partner for BLP with Robert MacGregor remaining as Chairman.
BLP is ranked 18th largest in UK law firms by turnover in 2014–15 at £259m, with profit per equity partner at £661k/year.
BLP's roots lie in the early twentieth century, when the three original law firms were founded. Paisner & Co was established in 1932 by Leslie Paisner and provided general legal advice. Lionel Leighton established Leighton & Co in 1942, a firm that advised on litigation and property development. Berwin & Co was founded in 1963 by Stanley Berwin, specialising in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and tax. Leighton & Co and Berwin & Co merged in 1970 to form Berwin Leighton and moved into Adelaide House, the office that houses BLP's current London headquarters.
Berwin Leighton Paisner was formed on 1 May 2001 when the two firms merged, comprising a total of nearly 1000 staff, with 122 partners. The agreement to merge was heralded by a steel band and balloons in the office foyer, following 8 months of negotiations. Neville Eisenberg was elected managing partner of Berwin Leighton in 1999, and held the same position in BLP until May 2015.
BLP is headquartered in London, with 14 other offices across Asia, Europe and the Middle East. The Moscow office was opened in 2009 in the formation of Goltsblat BLP, a 70-strong team that is the only joint venture between an international and local firm in Russia. The firm's Manchester office opened in the summer of 2014 with plans to open a Myanmar office in 2016.
Through its network of ‘preferred firms’ – representing more than 100 leading firms around the globe – and through its own office network, BLP has worked in over 130 countries in the past two years.
Principal areas of work
BLP lawyers are ranked in over 70 areas of legal expertise and have experience across 20 industry sectors. These include: commercial contracts; corporate finance; defence and aerospace; dispute resolution; energy and natural resources; EU, competition & Trade; finance; healthcare and education; hotels, leisure and gaming; human resources; insurance; intellectual property; outsourcing; public sector; real estate; retail; regulatory and compliance; restructuring and insolvency; tax; technology, media and telecoms; and transport and infrastructure. The firm is particularly known for being a market leader in the real estate field.
Ranked by the FT Innovative Lawyers Awards in 2015 as a top 10 ‘game changer’ of the past 10 years, BLP is commended for spearheading change in the legal sector and delivering value and efficiency for clients. Its LOD service model has been copied by 30% of the top 20 UK law firms, and now forms an integral part of BLP’s award-winning Integrated Client Service Model, along with its service centre in Manchester and ‘Streamline’ process mapping offering.
- "Berwin Leighton Paisner Firm Profile". The Lawyer. Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- "Heritage". Berwin Leighton Paisner. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- "Berwin Leighton and Paisners merge". The Lawyer. 5 March 2001. Retrieved 17 December 2010.
- "Berwin Leighton And Paisner Vote To Wed". Law Careers.net. 19 March 2001. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- "BLP relocates City partner duo to Hong Kong ahead of new local launch". Legalweek. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- "BLP signs up Linklaters partners for double Germany office launch". Legalweek. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- "BLP begins Middle East push with Abu Dhabi". The Lawyer. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "BLP opens in Moscow with hire of 70-lawyer team". Legal Week. 19 January 2009. Retrieved 17 December 2010.
- "One of a kind". The Lawyer. 6 December 2010. Retrieved 17 December 2010.
- "About BLP". Berwin Leighton Paisner. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Berwin Leighton Paisner official website