Besao, Mountain Province
Map of Mountain Province with Besao highlighted
|Region||Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)|
|District||Lone District of Mountain Province|
|Barangays||14 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Wellington B. Pooten|
|• Electorate||4,686 voters (2016)|
|• Total||173.62 km2 (67.04 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||41/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)74|
|Income class||5th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||1,752,248.15 (2016)|
Besao (Ilocano: Ili ti Besao), officially the Municipality of Besao is a 5th class municipality in the province of Mountain Province, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 7,040 people.
The municipality of Besao is believed to have derived its name from the Ilocano word ”Buso”, meaning headhunter. The people then of the neighboring towns specifically those from the Ilocos Region believed that the early ”Besaos” were headhunters. The word later on evolved as it is now called – Besao.
It was also said that Besao is the hometown of the great worlocks of mountain province and it was once said that the people of the said place are intensely feared by fierce tribes due to their lineage of being elite headhunters and worlocks.
Besao is politically subdivided into 14 barangays.
- Besao East
- Besao West
- Kin-iway (Poblacion.)
|Population census of Besao|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Mountain Province". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Mountain Province". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Official Website of Besao, Mountain Province
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
|Quirino, Ilocos Sur||Sagada|
|Cervantes, Ilocos Sur||Tadian||Bauko|