Besiege (video game)
|Mode(s)||Single-player, multiplayer (PC)|
Besiege is a strategy sandbox video game developed and published by Spiderling Studios. The game was released for Windows, macOS and Linux in February 2020, which followed a five-year long early access phase. A console version for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S was released in February 2022.
The game allows players to build outlandish medieval siege engines to pit against castles or armies. Players select from a collection of mechanical parts that can be connected together to build a machine. Each level has a goal, such as "destroy the windmill" or "kill 100 soldiers". Although the goals are relatively simple, the wide variety of possible approaches allows for experimentation.
Despite the medieval theme to the game, players are able to build intricate working models of four-stroke and two-stroke engines and vehicle systems, including computer systems, as well as modern vehicles such as tanks, automobiles, bomber planes, propeller planes, helicopters, airships, and battleships. An update in December 2017 added a level editor and multiplayer capabilities, such as pitting the vehicle creations against each other, or other players attempting to knock down a castle created by another. Later they added advanced build mode which grants the player the possibility to build complicated machines. With these additions, players developed systems to run tournaments similar to the television show BattleBots, pitting their Besiege creations in one-on-one matches with others to try to take the other out.
The game was first released for Linux, OS X and Windows via early access on 28 January 2015 before officially releasing on 18 February 2020. A console version is set to be released for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S on 10 February 2022. It features reworked user interface, photo mode, and a different Workshop for sharing user creations. However, it does not have the multiplayer or level editor functionality of the PC version.
Marsh Davies of Rock, Paper, Shotgun praised an early version of the game, comparing its "bouncily caricatured" science to a 12th-century version of Kerbal Space Program. Davies also praised the game's stylized graphics and sound. PC Gamer gave the game 85 out of 100.
- Noordin, Shaun A. (23 February 2015). "Besiege: Engineering madness". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- Horti, Samuel (10 December 2017). "Medieval destruction sandbox Besiege adds multiplayer and level editor". PC Gamer. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "Besiege :: Update V0.6.0-6878 - Multiverse Bugfixes & Experimental Branch update". 12 February 2018. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- Davenport, James (21 February 2020). "BattleBots is alive and deadly in Besiege's internet fight clubs". PC Gamer. Retrieved 21 February 2020.
- Bailey, Dustin (13 February 2020). "Besiege finally goes 1.0 in February, after five years of Early Access". PCGamesN. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- MarcoAM (24 January 2022). "Besiege Console will be entering Xbox's Game Preview program on the 10th of February, and will be available on Xbox One, Series X|S and Xbox GamePass!". Mod DB. Retrieved 25 January 2022.
- Davies, Marsh (9 February 2015). "Premature Evaluation: Besiege". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- Lane, Rick (25 February 2020). "Besiege review". PC Gamer. Future plc. Retrieved 28 June 2020.