|Died||June 2, 2015 (aged 88)|
|Resting place||Ulus Cemetery, Istanbul|
|Alma mater||Istanbul University|
London School of Economics
Besim Üstünel (1927 – June 2, 2015) was an academic in economics, politician and former Minister of Finance of Turkey.
Family life and early years
Besim Üstünel was born to Emin Üstünel and his wife Zekiye in Gaziantep, Southeastern Turkey in 1927. He had four sisters Nermin, Saadet, Sema, Aysen and four brothers Rasim Daşar, Mesut, Gündüz, Erol.
After his primary and secondary education in his home city, Üstünel graduated from the School of Economics at İstanbul University in 1946. After doctorate studies in the same university, he completed his post graduate studies in London School of Economics.
Besim Üstünel pursued a teaching career, and taught in the Faculty of Political Science, Ankara University. During this period, he served as a visiting professor in the universities of Stockholm and Minnesota. Üstünel served also in the State planning Organization of Turkey.
In 1965, he was appointed deputy secretary general of the Republican People's Party (CHP) upon request of the party leader İsmet İnönü. However, he did not enter the parliament for active politics. In the Turkish senate elections, 1975, he became a CHP senator serving until the 1980 Turkish coup d'état. Between June 21 and July 21 1977, he served as the Minister of Finance in the 40th government of Turkey (2nd Bülent Ecevit government), which failed to receive the vote of confidence.
After the 1980 military coup, he returned to academic studies, and taught in the İstanbul Technical University and later at Marmara University and Galatasaray University. In 1986 he served in Seijo University in Tokyo as a visiting professor. He also served as the speaker of Turkish delegation in Council of Europe between 1980-1981.
- Üstüne, Besim. Ekonominin Temelleri. Istanbul. p. 383. ISBN 978-975-304-0648.
- Üstüne, Besim. Makro Ekonomi. Istanbul: Alfa Yayınları. p. 311.
- "Besim Üstünel" (in Turkish). Vefat Hürriyet. 2015-06-04. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- Türkcan, Ergün (2015-06-04). "Besim Üstünel'in ardından". Cumhuriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- "Prof. Dr. Besim Üstünel vefat etti". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 2015-06-02. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- "Prof. Dr. Besim Üstünel vefat etti". Hür Haber (in Turkish). 2015-06-04. Retrieved 2015-06-05.[permanent dead link]
- Gaziantep news (in Turkish) Archived July 10, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- "Besim Üstünel hayatını kaybetti". Milliyet (in Turkish). 2015-06-02. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- Haber Gazetesi (in Turkish)
- "Ekonominin Temelleri" (in Turkish). İdefix. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- "Makro Ekonomi" (in Turkish). İdefix. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
| Minister of Finance of Turkey
June 21, 1977–July 21, 1977
Nevzat Cihat Bilgehan