Besins Healthcare is a privately held, fourth-generation family-owned pharmaceutical company headquartered in Bangkok, Thailand. Founded in 1885 in Paris, Besins Healthcare focuses on transdermal delivery technology treatments and has products available in 93 countries.
Besins Healthcare specializes in drugs for the treatment of gynecological, fertility and obstetrical conditions as well as androgen deficiencies. Besins Healthcare has three subsidiaries: BHR Pharma, LLC, Ascend Therapeutics and Pure Matters.
Ascend Therapeutics is involved in the research and development of transdermal drugs that are applied to the skin as a gel to treat chronic conditions such as severe breast pain for pre-menopausal women and low testosterone levels for older men.
Besins Healthcare global research and development is conducted out of BHR Pharma, LLC. BHR Pharma is in the last stage of human testing of a potential progesterone-based treatment (BHR-100) for severe Traumatic brain injury (TBI). The Food and Drug Administration has promised to fast-track the approval process for BHR-100 if the findings are positive. The drug is one of four compounds in late-stage development to combat TBI, and is the only one expected to reach the market before 2019.
- Flandez, Ramon (July 5, 2004). "For Ascend Therapeutics, Success Is Only Skin Deep". Website (Washington Post). Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- Unattributed Author. "Efficacy and Safety Study of Intravenous Progesterone in Patients With Severe Traumatic Brain Injury (SyNAPSe)". Website. Clinicaltrial.gov. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- Begley, Sharon (May 16, 2012). "Revealing brain damage from battlefield to playing field". Website (Reuters). Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Tuller, David. "An Hormonal Remedy for Brain Injuries Is Explored". Website (New York Times). Retrieved June 19, 2011.
- Unattributed Author. "TBI Research Creates Opportunities for Pharma". Website. DDDMag. Retrieved June 19, 2012.