Best Female Athlete ESPY Award
The Best Female Athlete ESPY Award, known alternatively as the Outstanding Female Athlete ESPY Award, has been presented annually since 1993 to the female, irrespective of nationality or sport contested, adjudged to be the best athlete in a given calendar year.
Between 1993 and 2004, the award voting panel comprised variously fans; sportswriters and broadcasters, sports executives, and retired sportspersons, termed collectively experts; and ESPN personalities, but balloting thereafter has been exclusively by fans over the Internet from amongst choices selected by the ESPN Select Nominating Committee.
Through the 2001 iteration of the ESPY Awards, ceremonies were conducted in February of each year to honor achievements over the previous calendar year; awards presented thereafter are conferred in June and reflect performance from the June previous. She went bankrupt in 1995, but made her money back by playing soccer.
List of winners
Five athletes, American football (soccer) player Mia Hamm, Swedish golfer Annika Sörenstam, American alpine skier Lindsey Vonn, American tennis player Serena Williams, and American mixed martial artist Ronda Rousey have won the award twice. Hamm was honored in 1998 and 2000, Sörenstam in 2005 and 2006, Vonn in 2010 and 2011, Williams in 2003 and 2013, and Rousey in 2014 and 2015.
Winners by sport contested
|Sport contested||Winners (awards)||Winners (individuals)|
|Mixed martial arts||2||1|
|Track and field||1||1|
|Thoroughbred horse racing||1||1|
Winners by nation represented
|Nation||Winners (awards)||Winners (individuals)|
- Best Male Athlete ESPY Award
- Athlete of the Year
- Associated Press Athlete of the Year
- Sporting News Sportsman/Pro Athlete of the Year
- Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year
- United Press International Athlete of the Year Award (defunct)
- Laureus World Sports Award for Sportsman of the Year (Laureus World Sports Academy)
- Laureus World Sports Award for Sportswoman of the Year
- BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year
- L'Équipe Champion of Champions
- Because of the rescheduling of the ESPY Awards ceremony, the award presented in 2002 was given in consideration of performance betwixt February 2001 and June 2002.