|Headquarters||Bethpage, New York|
Number of locations
|President & CEO: Rebecca Philbert|
|Owners||Aviv and Eran Raitses|
Best Market is a family-owned, regional supermarket chain with 30 stores in New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey. The company is headquartered in Bethpage, New York and has been owned by the Raitses family since the company's first store opened in Lake Ronkonkoma, New York in 1994.
Best Market focuses on fresh foods, especially produce, meat, seafood, deli and bakery, but also sells traditional grocery store items. Its stores typically have smaller overall footprints than competitors, and its offerings also include in-house traditional barbecue, a juice bar, sushi department and large selections of craft beer in many stores.
Early Years, Produce Warehouse
Best Market is a private, family-owned company. The business, which was founded as a small fruit and vegetable stand by the father of the current owners, expanded into a storefront produce store and, later, into the first Produce Warehouse in 1994.
Continuing its growth, the company opened up several more Produce Warehouse stores, focusing exclusively on New York and expanding from the outer boroughs of New York City into the suburbs of Long Island. It changed its name to Best Yet Market in 2002.
In 2005, Best Yet attempted a grocery delivery service in Manhattan that was ultimately unsuccessful. At the time, it competed with FreshDirect and Whole Foods Market, though Best Yet limited its offerings to the Upper East Side. Though the delivery service was short-lived, Best Yet would begin offering grocery delivery again in parts of Harlem beginning in 2010.
Best Yet opened a new flagship store in Harlem, New York in 2010, bringing the chain to Manhattan for the first time in the company's history and rectifying a shortage in fresh food offerings in the area, according to a New York City Department of City Planning survey. The Harlem store, which was funded in part with a million-dollar loan from the Upper Manhattan Development Zone, offers not only fresh produce, but also fresh meat and seafood departments, craft beer, and gourmet grocery products.
The 2011 opening of a store in East Patchogue, New York earned the chain praise from East Patchogue city officials for bringing a market featuring fresh produce to what had been designated a food desert by New York state officials.
Best Yet Market began the process of changing the name of its stores from Best Yet Market to Best Market in 2012. The company's first store outside New York, in Holmdel, New Jersey, opened in early 2012 as Best Market. Notably, the Holmdel Best Market dedicated 25% of its floor space to produce, and in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the store, powered by an emergency generator, opened to customers and donated most of its undamaged food to local residents impacted by the storm.
In 2013, the company expanded into a third state, opening a Best Market location in Newington, Connecticut. The Newington location offers traditional barbecue from an in-house smoker, expanding on a program first offered in its Harlem store. The Newington Best Market also includes an electric car charging station as part of an alliance with Connecticut Electric Car. The same year, the company's West Babylon location won the "Best Retro Design" award from Progressive Grocer in that magazine's annual Store Design Contest.
Beginning in 2015, Best Market began purchasing former A&P locations in New York, including multiple Waldbaum's and Pathmark stores, as well as one former Food Emporium in Tribeca. These locations were all opened under its new Best Market banner, increasing the total number of the company's stores from 19 to 26. The company then opened four more stores in 2016, bringing its total number of stores to 30  and the Best Yet Market name was fully phased out by the end of that year.
In August, 2016, Best Market and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced it would move its headquarters from Bethpage to Bay Shore, Long Island, taking over a former Entenmann's factory that closed in 2014. The new headquarters would function as the cornerstone of a proposed regional food hub and incorporate food production facilities, distribution for the chain's stores, and a food incubator to support emerging food entrepreneurs. The move was funded in part by the Empire State Development Corporation, which offered a $1 million tax credit in exchange for a promise to create 125 new jobs at the facility and invest approximately $6 million in renovating the building.
According to its website, Best Market currently operates 30 locations in New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey.
Best Market has instituted multiple green initiatives at its stores and Bethpage headquarters. It operates an all-hybrid vehicle fleet, including several electric vehicles, and offers car charging stations at some stores. Several store locations are partially powered by solar energy, including its Massapequa store, which relies almost exclusively on solar panels installed on the store's rooftop for its electricity.
- "New Supermarket Chain Comes to CT" Fox CT, Retrieved November 4, 2013
- "About Best Yet Market," Best Yet Market Website Archived August 20, 2013, at the Wayback Machine., Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "Best Market Opens For Business in Holmdel Commons," Holmdel-Hazlet Patch, Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Holmdel Officials Join Best Market in Welcoming Beer and Wine Dept.," Holmdel-Hazlet Patch, Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Best Yet to Open in Former Waldbaums," Newsday, Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "Best Market | Wood Smoked BBQ," Best Market Website, Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- "Fresh, Local, Quality Seafood from Best Market". Best Market. Retrieved 2017-06-22.
- "New Kid on the Block: Best Market," Tribeca Citizen, Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- "Long Island Supermarket Chain Wins Auction Of Northwood Plaza In Newington," Hartford Courant, Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- "From A Stand to a Supermarket: The Story of Best Market," The Island Now Retrieved February 20, 2016
- "'Best Market' Hiring 70 Workers for New Holmdel Store," Holmdel-Hazlet Patch Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Best Yet Market Launches New York City Delivery Service," Gourmet Retailer, Retrieved November 4, 2013.
- "New Gourmet Market Opens in Harlem," New York 1, Retrieved November 04, 2013.
- "Going Upscale Uptown," New York Times, Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- "Downsizing without Downsides," New York Times, Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- "Going to Market: New York City’s Neighborhood Grocery Store and Supermarket Shortage (pdf)," NYC.gov, Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- "New Supermarket in Neighborhood That Needs One," New York Times, Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- "E. Patchogue Food Desert Gets Market," Newsday, Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- "Best Yet Launching New Banner," Supermarket News, Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- "Best Market opens its first NJ supermarket in Holmdel," Asbury Park Press, Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- "Best Market Donates Food to Storm Victims" Holmdel-Hazlet Patch Retrieved October 27, 2013
- "Electric Car Installs First Smart Charging Station At New Market," Hartford Courant Retrieved November 23, 2013
- "CT Electric Car installs smart charging station" Hartford Business Journal Retrieved November 23, 2013
- "Brilliant Blueprints: Progressive Grocer Store Design Contest 2013," Progressive Grocer Archived December 2, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved October 20, 2013
- "Best Yet Purchase of Waldbaum's, Pathmark stores approved by judge," Newsday Retrieved February 20, 2016
- "Best Market To Buy Five More Waldbaum's, Pathmarks," Newsday Retrieved February 20, 2016
- "Best Market Opens Doors to Fill Need Left by Waldbaums," The Island Now, Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Grocery Chain to the Rescue, Ready to Fill Food Emporium Void," Tribeca Trib Online Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- Genn, Adina (2016-08-02). "Best Market to open new HQ, food incubator". Long Island Business News. Retrieved 2017-06-22.
- "Best Market Opening New Distribution Center". ProgressiveGrocer. 2016-08-03. Retrieved 2017-06-22.
- "Best Market to Move Headquarters to Former Entenmann's Factory in Bay Shore". Bay Shore, NY Patch. 2016-08-02. Retrieved 2017-06-22.
- "Store Locator - Best Market," Best Market Website, Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- "Best Yet Market Inc Solar Project," National Grid Energy Management, Retrieved March 9, 2016.