Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off
The Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off is an annual rib cook-off in Sparks, Nevada. The competition involves St. Louis-style pork ribs. The event is held at Victorian Square in Sparks and has taken place annually over the Labor Day weekend since 1989; it is sponsored by the Nugget Casino Resort.
The Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off began in 1989, with six entries and a small group of casino customers. The initial event did not involve cooking the ribs on-site, but rather reheating them with cans of Sterno fuel. The inaugural winner was North Main Barbecue from Euless, Texas.
Rib cook-off and other competitions
The rib cook-off takes place over six days in Victorian Square in Sparks, Nevada; six blocks of Victorian Avenue are closed to traffic during the event for the cook-off competitors and other vendors to stage their booths. Aside from the actual cook-off, ribs are sold to the general public. In addition to the ribs there is a small arts and crafts fair and a few children's rides. In 2007 the event, for the first time, drew half a million visitors, and has done so every following year, serving up to 100 tons of St. Louis-style ribs. It was calculated that the 2006 event produced "1.4 million bones' worth of pork ribs."
|Year||Attendance (estimated)||Ribs cooked (lbs)||Winner's home state||References|
Note: Statistics marked with an asterisk (*) are pre-event estimates.
- "Michigan cooker wins Best in the West rib cook-off". San Francisco Chronicle. September 2, 2008. Retrieved 2009-09-07.[dead link]
- Greenberg, Peter. "Ribs, Ribs, and More Ribs: The Biggest Barbecue Cook-Off in the West". Peter Greenberg. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- Sonner, Scott (May 31, 2005). "Sparks sets lineup for annual cook-off". Las Vegas Review-Journal (AP). Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- Walpole, Jeanne Lauf (2007). Insiders' Guide to Reno and Lake Tahoe. Globe Pequot. pp. 179–80. ISBN 978-0-7627-4190-8.
- Schulte-Peevers, Andrea; Sara Benson (2006). California. Lonely Planet. p. 356. ISBN 978-1-74059-951-1.
- "101 Western Events". American Cowboy: 44. January–February 2007. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- Cumbay, Traci; Tom Schneider (2008). BBQ Sauces, Rubs & Marinades For Dummies. For Dummies. p. 224. ISBN 978-0-470-19914-5.
- Sooner, Scott (August 1, 2005). "Labor Day weekend means barbecue ribs in northern Nevada". USA Today (AP). Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- O'Malley, Jaclyn (September 5, 2009). "Cooks give tips for making award-winning ribs at home". Reno Gazette-Journal. Retrieved 2009-09-07.[dead link]
- Bruder, Jessica (2007). Burning book: a visual history of Burning Man. Simon and Schuster. p. 9. ISBN 978-1-4169-2824-9.
- "Local Company Among Rib Cookoff Winners". KOLO-TV. September 7, 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- Gardner, Tom (August 30, 2001). "The Super Bowl of Rib Roasts". Luddington Daily News. pp. A8. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off Cooker Details - Coyote". Reno Ribs. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off Cooker Details - Joey's Texas Thunder". Reno Ribs. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off Cooker Details - BJ's Barbeque". Reno Ribs. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off Cooker Details". Reno Ribs. Retrieved 2009-10-28. Check date values in:
- "Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off Cooker Details - Awesome Aussie". Reno Ribs. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off Cooker Details - Texas Outlaw Barbecue". Reno Ribs. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- Leocha, Charles (Aug 17, 2005). "Reno lets the good times roll". MSNBC. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- "Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off Cooker Details - Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ". Reno Ribs. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- Dunne, Mike (September 5, 2006). "Winning Ribs from Minnesota? Believe It". The Sacramento Bee. Archived from the original on 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- Famous Dave's won both the 2006 and 2007 competitions
- Harrington, Joe (August 29, 2007). "Plenty of Ribs to Eat in Sparks". KOLO-TV. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- Hagar, Ray (September 8, 2009). "Desperado takes Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off trophy after rough start". Reno Gazette-Journal. Retrieved 2009-09-08.[dead link]