Bet.e & Stef
|Bet.e & Stef|
|Genres||Bossa Nova, Jazz|
Bet.e and Stef Records Universal Music Group (Canada)Compost (Germany, EU)
|Members||Elizabeth "Bet.e" Provencher
Stéphane "Stef" Carreau
Bet.e & Stef is a Canadian bossa nova and jazz group from Montreal, Quebec, consisting of vocalist and percussionist Elizabeth "Bet.e" Provencher and vocalist and guitarist Stéphane "Stef" Carreau. They are best known for their 2002 album Day by Day, which sold 200,000 copies, and were shortlisted for the Juno Award for New Group of the Year at the Juno Awards of 2003.
Bet.e & Stef came together in the mid-1990s. The duo released two independent demo cassettes before releasing their debut album, Jazz/Bossa Nova, in 1997. They toured to support the album as an opening act for Holly Cole, and the album was eventually certified gold for sales of 50,000 copies. They then signed to Verve Records and followed up with Day by Day in 2002, which also attained gold certification in Canada. In 2003 the band members stopped performingand recording together, and worked on separate projects for about ten years.
In 2013 Bet.e & Stef reformed, and released an album, Remix Deluxe, which contained new versions of some of their previously released material, and once again began performing in Montréal. In 2014 they performed at the Montréal en lumière festival, and released It's All Right, a double album which was a mixture of remixes, previously released tracks and new material.04/02/2014
- Jazz/Bossa Nova (1997)
- Day by Day (2002)
- Remix Deluxe (2013)
- It's All Right (2014)
- Seeds (2015)
- "Canada's Bet.e & Stef Serve Up Their Own Brand of Bossa Nova". Billboard, April 14, 2001. p. 52.
- "Bet.e & Stef renaît". La Presse, August 12, 2013.
- "Leaders of the pack". Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, April 4, 2003.
- "Bosses of the bossa nova: New CD from locals. Word of mouth leads to Bet.e, Stef's Day by Day". Montreal Gazette, September 28, 2002.
- "Heart and soul of Holly Cole: Innovative singer pours everything into new disc". Ottawa Citizen, October 16, 2000.
- "Canada's turbo-powered bossa duo". The Globe and Mail, February 24, 2003.
- "Bet.e & Stef renaissent de leurs cendres". Voir, Catherine Genest. 11 September 2013
- "Le retour de Bet.e & Stef". Journal de Montréal, 26 February 2014 Fabien Boileau
- "Review: BET.E & STEF It’s All Right". No Dice Mag,
- "The duo of Bet.e and Stef returns after long hiatus". The Guardian, May 2, 2015.
- "Les 15 chansons québécoises de l'été 2015 (VIDÉOS)". Le Huffington Post Québec , Samuel Larochelle, 15/07/2015
- "A photo tour of world music artists at the Montreal International Jazz Festival". World Music Central, July 18, 2015 Madanmohan Rao