Bet365 Gold Cup
|Grade 3 race|
|Distance||3m 5½f (5,934 metres)|
|Qualification||Five-years-old and up|
|Just A Par||Vics Canvas||Le Reve|
|Hadrian's Approach||Burton Port||Godsmejudge|
|Quentin Collonges||Same Difference||Away We Go|
|Tidal Bay||Roalco De Farges||Any Currency|
|Poker De Sivola||Faasel||Baby Run|
|Mr Frisk||Durham Edition||Four Trix|
|Brown Windsor||Sam Da Vinci||Charter Party|
|Desert Orchid||Kildimo||Strands Of Gold|
The Bet365 Gold Cup is a Grade 3 National Hunt chase in Great Britain which is open to horses aged five years or older. It is run at Sandown Park over a distance of about 3 miles and 5½ furlongs (5,934 metres), and during its running there are twenty-four fences to be jumped. It is a handicap race, and it is scheduled to take place each year in late April.
The event was established in 1957, and it was originally called the Whitbread Gold Cup. It was sponsored by Whitbread Brewers at the instigation of Colonel Bill Whitbread, the company's chairman, who had twice ridden in the Grand National as an amateur jockey. It was the first commercial sponsorship in British sport, and the longest-running until it ended in 2001.
In recent years the race has been sponsored by At the Races (2002–03), Betfred (2004–07) and Bet365 (2008–). The record for the longest-running sponsorship of a British horse race is now held by the Hennessy Gold Cup, which was launched seven months after the "Whitbread".
Most successful horse (2 wins):
- Larbawn – 1968, 1969
- Diamond Edge – 1979, 1981
- Topsham Bay – 1992, 1993
- Ad Hoc – 2001, 2003
Leading jockey (3 wins):
- Ron Barry – Titus Oates (1971), Charlie Potheen (1973), The Dikler (1974)
Leading trainer (7 wins):
- Fulke Walwyn – Taxidermist (1958), Mill House (1967), Charlie Potheen (1973), The Dikler (1974), Diamond Edge (1979, 1981), Special Cargo (1984)
1 The 1973 edition was run at Newcastle over 3 miles and 6 furlongs.
2 Proud Tarquin (1974), Cahervillahow (1991) and Givus a Buck (1993) all finished first but were disqualified following a Stewards' Enquiry.
- Horseracing in Great Britain
- List of British National Hunt races
- Recurring sporting events established in 1957 – this race is included under its original title, Whitbread Gold Cup.
- Race Recordings
- "Whitbread ends Sandown link". bbc.co.uk. December 19, 2001. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- Racing Post:
- pedigreequery.com – Gold Cup Handicap Chase – Sandown.
- The Breedon Book of Horse Racing Records. Breedon Books. 1993. p. 245. ISBN 1-873626-15-0.