Beth Labson Freeman
Beth Labson Freeman
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California|
|Assumed office |
February 26, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Seat established by 104 Stat. 5089|
Beth Ann Labson
November 21, 1953
|Education||University of California, Berkeley (B.A.)|
Harvard Law School (J.D.)
Beth Labson Freeman (born November 21, 1953) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
Freeman was born Beth Ann Labson in 1953, in Washington, D.C.. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1976 from the University of California at Berkeley. She received a Juris Doctor in 1979 from Harvard Law School. From 1979 to 1981, she worked at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver and Jacobson and from 1981 to 1983, she worked at Lasky, Haas, Cohler and Munter. From 1983 to 2001, she served as Deputy County Counsel at the San Mateo County Counsel's Office. From 2001 to 2014, she served as a Judge on the San Mateo County Superior Court, serving as Assistant Presiding Judge from 2009 to 2010 and Presiding Judge from 2011 to 2012. As a county judge, she presided over a broad array of civil and criminal matters.
Federal judicial service
On June 20, 2013, President Obama nominated Freeman to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, to a new seat created on October 3, 2011, pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 133(b)(1). On October 31, 2013, the Senate Judiciary Committee reported Freeman's nomination to the full Senate. After the first session of the 113th Congress ended, Freeman's nomination was returned to President Obama, who renominated Freeman in January 2014. The Senate Judiciary Committee reported Freeman's nomination to the full Senate on January 16, 2014. On February 12, 2014, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on Freeman's nomination. On Tuesday February 25, 2014 the Senate voted 56–42 to invoke cloture on Freeman's nomination, with one Senator voting present. The Freeman nomination was confirmed later that day by a vote of 91–7. Freeman received her judicial commission on February 26, 2014.
- "Senate Judiciary Committee Nomination Questionnaire" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-11-07. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "President Obama Announces Intent to Nominate Three to Serve on the United States District Court". 20 June 2013.
- "Freeman, Beth Labson – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-17. Retrieved 2014-02-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress – 2nd Session". www.senate.gov.
- Beth Labson Freeman at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Beth Labson Freeman at Ballotpedia
Seat established by 104 Stat. 5089
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California