Bethel Township, McDonough County, Illinois
Location in McDonough County
McDonough County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 4, 1856|
|• Total||36.64 sq mi (94.9 km2)|
|• Land||36.64 sq mi (94.9 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||8.9/sq mi (3.4/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
The first settler of Bethel Township was John Gibson, a native of the state of North Carolina, who settled in 1829, on section two. He built the first house within the limits of the present township near the village of Middletown.
Among other earliest settlers of Bethel township between 1829 and 1835 were: Benjamin Matthews, James H. Dunsworth, Charles Dunsworth, James Edmonston, John Venard, William Venard, Malachi Monk, John Monk, Martin Fugate, John W. Fugate, James C. Archer, Thomas F. Shoopman, William I. Pace, Bowen Webb, Jesse C. Webb, John Matthews, Samuel T. Matthews, M. C. Foster, William Holton, George W. Provine, James L. Horrell, John McCormack, John Patrick, John E. Riggs, and Samuel Riggs.
Bethel township assumed official organization in 1856, at the time of the division of the county into townships. It was originally known as Eagle township, but was changed to its present cognomen at the first meeting of the board of supervisors in May, 1857. The first township election was held April 7, 1857, at which time William Twaddle and John Taylor were elected the first justices of the peace, and John Brundage, constable.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.64 square miles (94.9 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-12-27. Retrieved 2015-06-29.
- Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois, Volume 2, By Newton Bateman, Paul Selby
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
|This McDonough County, Illinois location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|