Betrayers of the Truth
Cover of the first edition
|Publisher||Simon & Schuster|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover and Paperback)|
|LC Class||Q172.5.F7 B76 1983|
Betrayers of the Truth: Fraud and Deceit in the Halls of Science is a book by William Broad and Nicholas Wade, published in 1982 by Simon & Schuster in New York, and subsequently (1983) also by Century Publishing in London, and with a simplified subtitle as Betrayers of the Truth: Fraud and Deceit in Science by Oxford University Press in 1985. The book is a critique of some widely held beliefs about the nature of science and the scientific process.
Broad and Wade argue that the conventional wisdom that science is a strictly logical process, with objectivity the essence of scientist's attitudes, errors being speedily corrected by rigorous peer scrutiny and experiment replication, is a mythical ideal.
Our conclusion, in brief, is that science bears little resemblance to its conventional portrait. We believe that the logical structure discernible in scientific knowledge says nothing about the process by which the structure was built or the mentality of the builders. In the acquisition of knowledge, scientists are not guided by logic and objectivity alone, but also by such nonrational factors as rhetoric, propaganda, and personal prejudice. Scientists do not depend solely on rational thought, and have no monopoly on it.
- List of books about the politics of science
- Least publishable unit - Discussed in chapter 3, 'Rise of the Careerists'.
- Piltdown Man
- William Summerlin
- Broad, William; Wade, Nicholas (1983), Betrayers of the Truth: Fraud and Deceit in the Halls of Science, London: Century Publishing, pp. 8–9, ISBN 0-7126-0243-7
- Evans, Donald (1986), "Book Review: Betrayers of the Truth: Fraud and Deceit in the Halls of Science", Journal of Medical Ethics, 12 (3): 160–161, doi:10.1136/jme.12.3.160, PMC 1375365
- Joravsky, David (October 13, 1983), "Unholy Science", The New York Review of Books, retrieved 29 April 2010 (Review of 1983 publication)
- Angell, Marcia (March 1983), "Fraud in Science (Book reviews: Betrayers of the Truth)", Science, 219 (4591): 1417–1418, Bibcode:1983Sci...219.1417B, doi:10.1126/science.219.4591.1417