Betraying the Martyrs
|Betraying the Martyrs|
Live at the Motocultor Festival in 2011.
|Genres||Deathcore, symphonic metal, metalcore, progressive metal|
|Labels||Sumerian Records (USA, Canada, Mexico)
Listenable Records (Europe)
|Associated acts||Darkness Dynamite, The Beverly Secret, Black Curtains, Beyond The Dust|
|Website||Betraying the Martyrs on Facebook|
|Past members||Eddie Czaicki
Formation and EP release
Betraying the Martyrs was founded in 2008 and currently consists of Aaron Matts (lead vocals), Baptiste Vigier (rhythm guitar), Lucas d'Angelo (lead guitar), Victor Guillet (clean vocals/keyboard), Valentin Hauser (bass guitar) and Mark Mironov (drums). Former members of the band included Eddie Czaicki (vocals), Antoine Salin (Drums), and Fabien Clévy (lead guitar).
Before joining the band, Czaicki played in the French metalcore outfit, Darkness Dynamite. Guillet was the lead vocalist and keyboardist in the post-hardcore band, The Beverly Secret. Vigier and d'Angelo were in the metalcore band, Black Curtains. On November 18, 2009, Betraying the Martyrs released their debut EP The Hurt, The Divine, The Light, a self-produced recording funded entirely by the band and mixed by Stephane Buriez. The EP sold more than 2,000 copies in France alone. Their first European tour, "The Survivors Tour" (2010), involved the band playing in support of Whitechapel, Dark Funeral, Darkness Dynamite, A Skylit Drive, Adept, Despised Icon, Dance Gavin Dance, While She Sleeps and Shadows Chasing Ghosts. The band met current vocalist, British native Aaron Matts, during that tour, as he replaced Czaicki shortly thereafter. Czaicki opted to leave the band to pursue an art career.
Breathe in Life album
In 2011, the band started working on their first album and quickly signed deals with Sumerian Records, for North America, and Listenable Records for the rest of the world. On September 23, 2011, Betraying the Martyrs' debut album, Breathe In Life, was released globally. The album was produced in the band's studio and mixed by Charles J Wall at Sonic Assault Studios and the cover art was created by Hauser, the band's bass player. The album works with the central themes of life, faith and interpersonal relationships.
Between April and May 2011, the group completed a second European tour, the “Breathe In Life Tour", for the promotion of their debut album. The tour included performances in Germany, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Support on the "Breathe In Life Tour" was provided by Russian deathcore band, My Autumn, and Despite My Deepest Fear. Later that year, during the northern fall, the band toured the United States with Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, Carnifex and Structures.
The French Guitarist Mag magazine named the album as one of the Top 5 Albums of 2011 (second behind Megadeth), and the Best Newcomer of the Year in the Hard Metal category. Gibson named them in the Ten Metal Bands to check out in the summer of 2012, along with bands like Asking Alexandria and Five Finger Death Punch.
In May 2012, Antoine quit the band and was replaced by Russian drummer Mark Mironov from the deathcore band My Autumn.
The band went to the studio after touring with Asking Alexandria in Europe
; The band says that they want to release the new album this year (2014) 
Betraying the Martyrs toured Europe in early 2012 on the famous "Bonecrusher Tour", with Carnifex, Within The Ruins, Molotov Solution and Beneath The Massacre. As of April 2012, the band is touring the US, on the "Sumerianos Tour", alongside Upon A Burning Body and I The Breather, in addition to numerous other support acts. The band then followed a European tour, supporting Veil of Maya on the "European Eclipse 2012" tour, alongside Vildhjarta, Structures and Volumes. For the remainder of 2012, the band has been included on the line-up for "The All Stars Tour 2012" (northern summer) alongside Suicide Silence, Unearth, Attila and Winds of Plague; and on the Mayhem Festival 2012 with Slipknot, Slayer, Anthrax and many others. They also just performed as an opening act at the "Hellfest 2012" tour. They also replaced Winds Of Plague at the Graspop Metal Meeting 2012 Tour.
Betraying the Martyrs just completed touring with Asking Alexandria, While She Sleeps and Motionless in White, Chelsea Grin, Attila, and Within the Ruins. They are now in the studio recording their followup album.
During summer 2013, Betraying the Martyrs toured many festivals in Europe. They played during the Greenfield Festival in Switzerland alongside bands such as Rammstein, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Prodigy or Parkway Drive. They also performed at the Ghosfest with The Devil Wears Prada, Chelsea Grin or Veil of Maya. Betraying the Martyrs participated on the Never Say Die! Tour with Emmure, Carnifex, I Killed The Prom Queen, Hundreth, Northlane and Hand of Mercy. On November 2013, they made an eastern and scandinavian headline tour.
The band's style is a mixture of different aspects from multiple sub-genres of extreme metal. The band takes the breakdowns, blast beats, and death growls that are main elements in deathcore. They supplement them with clean vocals, chorus's, and programming that are key parts in metalcore and post-hardcore bands. They also occasionally blend odd time signatures that exist in progressive metal. Keyboards are also used to mimic the orchestral elements that reside in symphonic metal. However, deathcore elements within their music are the most predominant features.
- Aaron Matts - lead vocals (2010–present)
- Victor Guillet - keyboards, synthesizer, clean vocals (2008–present) (ex-The Beverly Secret)
- Lucas D'Angelo - lead guitar, backing vocals (2010–present) (ex-Black Curtains)
- Baptiste Vigier - rhythm guitar (2008–present) (ex-Black Curtains)
- Valentin Hauser - bass (2008–present) (ex Beyond The Dust)
- Mark Mironov - drums, percussion (2012–present) (ex-My Autumn)
- Touring members
- Christophe De Oliveira - bass (may 2011) (Darkness Dynamite)
- Brendan Perrot - bass (february 2012) (Upheaval)
- Sydney Taieb - drums (2012-present) (Atlantis Chronicles)
- Junior Rodriguez - drums (2013-present) (Darkness Dynamite)
- Boris Le Gal - drums (2013-present) (Chimp Spanner, NeonFly)
- Eddie Czaicki - lead vocals (ex-Darkness Dynamite) (2008–2010)
- Fabien Clévy - lead guitar (2008–2010) (ex-The Bridal Procession, Eternal Redeemers)
- Antoine Salin - drums (2008–2012)
- Studio albums
- Breathe In Life (Sumerian/Listenable 2011)
- TBA (Sumerian 2014)
- The Hurt the Divine the Light (Self-released 2009)
- "Survivor" (Destiny's Child Cover 2010)
- "Man Made Disaster" (Sumerian, Listenable 2011) 
- "Tapestry of Me" (Sumerian, Listenable 2011)
|Title||Year||Director||From the album|
|"Tapestry of Me"||2011||Gas Carpenter||Breathe In Life|
|"Man Made Disaster"||2011||Thomas Welsh|
|"Because of You" (lyric video)||2012|
- Voltagemedia: Betraying the Martyrs inks deal with Listenable Records
- lambgoat.com: Sumerian Records signs Betraying The Martyrs
- : 
- Stormbringer.at: Breathe in Life Stormbringer review (German)
- Metal Team UK: Breathe in Life Metal Team UK review
- Lords of Metal: Breathe in Life Lords of Metal review (English/Dutch)
- Metal.de: Breathe in Life Metal.de review (German)
- : 
- RobInjection (17 October 2011). "CARNIFEX, BENEATH THE MASSACRE, WITHIN THE RUINS Tour Europe for Bonecrusher Fest 2012". Metal Injection. Metal Injection LLC. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Upon A Burning Body, I The Breather tour dates". LAMBGOAT - hardcore/metal/reviled forum. Lambgoat, LLC. 28 February 2012. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Ryan Minic (9 February 2012). "'European Eclipse 2012' Tour Announced: Veil of Maya, Betraying the Martyrs, Vildhjarta". Ryan's Rock Show. Ryan's Rock Show, LLC. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Bielby, Emily (25 January 2013). "Live: Betraying the Martyrs". Blunt Magazine. Retrieved 12 March 2014. "the evident crowd pleaser [at 2013 Brixton Academy show]"