|Founders||Alon Matas, Danny Bragonier|
|Headquarters||Sunnyvale, California, U.S.|
|Services||Online therapy |
Unlimited messaging therapy
BetterHelp is an online portal that provides direct-to-consumer access to behavioral health services. The online counseling and therapy services are provided through web-based interaction as well as phone and text communication. BetterHelp was founded in 2013 by Alon Matas and Danny Bragonier, and acquired by Teladoc, Inc. in 2015. BetterHelp maintained its brand name post acquisition and continues to provide online counseling services to consumers.
BetterHelp was founded by Alon Matas in 2013, after he faced personal challenges finding professional counseling services that accommodated his schedule. With the mission of helping all those facing similar challenges in gaining access to professional counseling, Matas partnered with co-founder Danny Bragonier to develop BetterHelp’s web-based counseling portal and therapist directory. Revenue had reached a projected $60 million by 2018.
BetterHelp is a web-based platform that allows patients to interact with counselors and therapists via a private online message board, live chat, phone and video conferencing . The “room” is open 24/7 and can be accessed from any Internet-connected device from any physical location.
In 2015, BetterHelp was acquired by Teladoc, Inc., a telehealth company that uses telephone and videoconferencing technology to provide on-demand remote therapy. Teledoc acquired BetterHelp for $3.5 million in cash and a $1.0 million promissory note, with an agreement to make annual payments to the sellers equal to 15% of the total net revenue generated by the BetterHelp business for each of the next three years.
In October of 2018, BetterHelp gained attention from media personalities after concerns were raised about alleged use of unfair pricing, bad experiences with the app, paid reviews from actors and questionable terms of service. CEO Alon Matas issued a statement responding to the allegations. YouTube content creators such as Philip DeFranco and Boogie2988 have spoken out on this issue.
- Furhlinger, Josh. All-You-Can-Text Therapy Services The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 30 March 2016
- "Vulnerable Patients Exposed To 'Growth At Any Cost' Culture". Seeking Alpha. 1 November 2018. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "BetterHelp Online Therapy Review".
- "An app that links you to a therapist by text has plans for a major expansion — starting with prescribing drugs".
- Martinez, Nikki Psy.D., LCP. Coping With a Cancer Diagnosis. Tips for the Patient, and Those Who Love Them The Huffington Post Retrieved 12 October 2015
- Dolan, Brian Teladoc IPO filing reveals 299,000 visits last year, details of past acquisitions Mobile Health News. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- YouTube’s BetterHelp mental health controversy, explained, Polygon
- Alon Matas When BetterHelp found itself in a Youtube Controversy (October 9, 2018).
- Wyatt Donigan, Dexerto YouTuber Boogie2988 says he no longer feels safe promoting BetterHelp Published October 10, 2018.