Better Than I Know Myself
|"Better Than I Know Myself"|
|Single by Adam Lambert|
|from the album Trespassing|
|Released||December 20, 2011|
|Adam Lambert singles chronology|
"Better Than I Know Myself" is a song by American recording artist Adam Lambert from his second studio album, Trespassing. The song was released as the album's lead single on December 20, 2011. It was released to US mainstream radio on January 24, 2012. The song was written and produced by Dr. Luke, Cirkut, and Ammo, and co-written by Claude Kelly.
Background and composition
On December 15, 2011 RCA Records announced that "Better Than I Know Myself" would serve as the lead single from Adam Lambert's upcoming second studio album, Trespassing due for March 2012. The following day the song premiered in full online. The song was released via iTunes on December 20, 2011 in the United States.
"Better Than I Know Myself" is a synthpop ballad. The instrumentation consists of a thumping bass beat, a keyboard, and "retro synth washes" as described by Bill Lamb of About.com. Lyrically, the song revolves around romantic regret. Adam Lambert sings about "a lover who knows you inside and out".
"Better Than I Know Myself" received mostly positive reviews from music critics. Contessa Gayles of AOL Music Blog wrote, "The 'American Idol' star's new mid-tempo track is a Dr. Luke and Claude Kelly production about a lover who knows you inside and out" and called the song an "epic piano ballad". She also complimented Adam Lambert's "gifted vocals". Bill Lamb of About.com said, "Adam Lambert's voice is a unique and powerful instrument, but when the song and production are dull, even the best voice can't completely turn things around."
Liz Barker of MTV called the song "one of Adam's biggest, boldest and most beautiful tracks to date". Billboard's Jason Lipshutz compared the song's "winning pop-rock formula" to Lambert's 2009 breakthrough single "Whataya Want from Me" and wrote: "While "Better Than I Know Myself" is not as immediately overpowering, repeated listenings amplify the untamed vulnerability that has become Lambert's defining asset. [...] Like any talented pop artist, Lambert understands subtle reflection as well as epic bombast." According to Rolling Stone reviewer Jody Rosen, the song showcases "Lambert's superhuman vocal range", while referring to the song as "formulaic pop".
In the United States, the song debuted at number seventy-six on the Billboard Hot 100 on the chart dated January 7, 2012, before its official radio add date. It was only successful in select countries such as Finland and Japan, in both of which it charted in the top ten. It failed to reach the Top 40 in the United States and is Lambert's lowest charting single to date.
The music video was directed by Ray Kay and premiered on February 3, 2012 on Lambert's official Vevo page. The video's concept deals with duality and the conflict between the darker and lighter sides of Lambert which is also explored on the album. The video begins with the two characters in a room separated by a glass window. In the course of the video the two get into an argument resulting in the dark side polluting the light side's oxygen supply. It ends with the dark side rescuing his better half by breaking through the glass and connecting with him, making the both of them form into one person.
Adam Lambert performed "Better Than I Know Myself" for the first time on January 17, 2012 on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He appeared with minimal make-up while wearing a black suit and white shirt with no tie. He then performed the song on January 19, 2012 on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- Digital download
- "Better Than I Know Myself" – 3:36
- CD single
- "Better Than I Know Myself" – 3:35
- "Better Than I Know Myself" (Alex Ghenea Remix) – 3:23
- "Better Than I Know Myself" - The Remixes EP
- "Better Than I Know Myself" (Alex Ghenea Remix) – 3:23
- "Better Than I Know Myself" (Dave Audé Dubstep Remix) - 4:00
- "Better Than I Know Myself" (Robert Marvin & Shearer Remix) - 3:35
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||15|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||56|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||6|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||88|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||40|
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||9|
|South Korea International Singles (Gaon)||27|
|US Billboard Hot 100||76|
|US Adult Pop Songs (Billboard)||18|
Radio and release history
|Worldwide||December 20, 2011||Digital download|
|United States||January 23, 2012||Adult contemporary radio airplay|
|January 24, 2012||Mainstream radio airplay|
|Germany||March 9, 2012||Digital download|
|March 16, 2012||CD single|
- "Global Superstar Adam Lambert To Release Highly Anticipated Second Album 'Trespassing' On March 20th, 2012". RCA Records. RCA Records. Archived from the original on 2012-01-07. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Top 40/M Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on January 19, 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- "Adam Lambert Announces "Better Than I Know Myself" As Lead 'Trespassing' Single". 2011-11-19. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- Gayles, Contessa (2011-12-16). "Adam Lambert 'Better Than I Know Myself' Song Debuts". AOL. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- Lamb, Bill. "Review: Adam Lambert - Better Than I Know Myself". About.com. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- Barker, Liz (2011-12-19). "New Song: Adam Lambert, 'Better Than I Know Myself'". MTV. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- Lipshutz, Jason (2012-01-02). "Track Review: Adam Lambert, 'Better Than I Know Myself'". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Rosen, Jody (2011-12-30). "Better Than I Know Myself | Song Reviews". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- "US Billboard Hot 100: Biggest Jump". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Lansky, Sam (2012-03-02). "New Video: Adam Lambert, 'Better Than I Know Myself'". Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- Halperin, Shirley (2012-01-18). "Video: 'American Idol's' Adam Lambert Debuts New Look, Single On 'The Tonight Show'". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 2012-01-18.
- Sciarretto, Amy (2012-01-18). "Adam Lambert Performs 'Better Than I Know Myself' With Less Eyeliner on 'Tonight Show'". PopCrush. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- "iTunes - Music - Better Than I Know Myself - Single by Adam Lambert". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- "Better Than I Know Myself: Adam Lambert: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved 2012-03-17.
- "ARIA Charts - Chartifacts". Archived from the original on 2010-08-01.
- "Ultratop.be – Adam Lambert – Better Than I Know Myself" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Adam Lambert: Better Than I Know Myself on Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. B.Biz. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Adam Lambert: Better Than I Know Myself" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Musicline.de – Adam Lambert Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Charts.org.nz – Adam Lambert – Better Than I Know Myself". Top 40 Singles.
- "Billboard Japan Hot 100". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: January 01, 2012 to January 07, 2012)". Gaon Chart. December 15, 2012. Archived from the original on December 19, 2012. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "US Billboard Adult Pop Songs". Billboard. Billboard.
- "Hot/Modern/AC > Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on January 19, 2012.
- "Better Than I Know Myself: Adam Lambert: Amazon.de: MP3-Downloads". Amazon.de. Retrieved 2012-03-17.